Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error Message when running app

dgr2017
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I'm in the process of creating my first analytical app based on a workflow I've already created. The workflow runs without any issues but when I run the app, I receive the following message:

There were errors:

Cross Tab (21): The field "RespID" is not contained in the record.

Looking at Cross Tab (21), "RespID" is selected in the Group Data by these Values section so not sure where I'm going wrong. 

Just to provide some context, the app simply incorporates a File Browse and a number of List Box Interface tools. Here is the mapping of prompts to Fields if you choose to run the app:

Select the field containing unique Respondent ID: >>> RespID

Select the field containing respondent Weights: >>> WEIGHT

Select the field containing Segmentation Codes: >>> PRIZM Premier (ZIP+6) Code 

Select Question(s) of interest: >>> CQ1Grayl_1...CQ12Grayl_6

Please find both the workflow (.yxmd) and app (.yxwz) attached. I've attached the sample input data as well. Any assistance with trouble-shooting this error is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

4 REPLIES 4
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@dgr2017 This is a great start! Thanks for including the excel file, it made it much easier. First to explain the error and how I figured it out. I opened your workflow and used the interface designer debugger (View >> Interface Designer >> Test View >> Open Debug) to try and debug what the issue could be. You can then see that your select tool isn't showing what you're expecting. Instead of only selecting the fields you check, the action tool is both selecting the fields you check AND unselecting the fields you don't select. So basically the last action tool to run is only selecting your variables of interest, and unselects those respondent, weight, and segmentation variables. Since the RespID field is not flowing into your transpose tool, it throws the error you're seeing.

Here are the changes I made:

1) I replaced 3 list box interface tools with dropdowns since you only want the user to select one field (I think). Note that I also named them using the Annotation tab of each tool. For example, I renamed your respondent tool RespID:

Capture.PNG

2) I connected your file browse to the interface tools (instead of your input tool). This will allow your interface tools to show the fields from whatever file is selected in the file browse. 

3) I deleted the select tool in lieu of a dynamic rename and dynamic select. The dynamic rename is used for the Respondent, weight and segmentation. It is simply renaming whatever fields the user selects to be the standard name. For example, if the Respondent field is "field1", then it will get changed to "RespID" so that your app can process it as RespID without any errors. I use this in apps to take the field the user selects and convert it to my standard name. For the variables of interest, we can use the transposed dynamic fields. I just use a dynamic select to select only the fields that the user selects (in case they want to exclude some fields I guess). If you just want to dynamically use all the fields, you don't even need to this question as the transpose will just dynamically grab them all. Note that I like passing the interface tools by using the undocumented %Question.<<Name>>%  instead of using action tools. I find it much simpler and more straightforward. It also allows you to test it out easier.

4) I updated the Configuration >> Workflow tab throw your current field names through as test values. I set the segment variable to "PRIZM Premier (ZIP+6) Code".

5) I added a dynamic rename at the end to flip the names back to what the user selects.

6) I used the interface designer >> properties to display the browse tool.

It seems to work on my end, but let me know if I missed something! You'll want to change your input tool back to the path you had originally. I changed it to a relative path to work on my machine. 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Great diagnostic help @patrick_digan!

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
dgr2017
7 - Meteor

Patrick,

You have no idea how appreciative I am and can't say thank you enough! This was my first post and questioned "is anyone REALLY going to take the time to help me trouble-shoot this?" prior to submitting. Not only did you help me trouble-shoot but provided me with explanations/advice that I know are going to help me progress as an Alteryx user. Makes me realize I need to pay it forward and find the time to help someone else out as you did. In the meantime, excited to publish this to our Analytics Gallery (first one at that). I've quickly realized the power of Alteryx and confidant that publishing this will allow others in my organization to realize the same thing. Thanks again man!!

Cheers,

Dave

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Just glad to help. For the output to display to the end user, you'll want to use an output tool written to specific locations. I laid it out pretty well here in my first response.

Labels