Welcome to the Gallery. Please feel free to post and comment, and check out our FAQ!

Community Gallery

Post, download, and share all of your favorite tools and workflows — from Alteryx supported to user-built.
Introducing Alteryx Marketplace

Easily access verified, supported, and secure Add-Ons.

LEARN MORE
Comments
brianvtran
7 - Meteor

Hey @IraWatt 

I am trying to use your Zip File Tool but I'm not sure how to configure it since there's only one configuration option. How do I specify the file path to which I want the zipped file to be stored? Do I need to write the FilePath as a field via Formula Tool so it can be an option for the configuration? I've tried running it a few times and I keep getting some kind of Traceback error. 

I am not sure how this is supposed to work. Normally we would output a file, typically csv in my case, and then compress it; but if the output tool has no output polygon, how would I connect my csv file to the Zip File Tool to be zipped? What kind of file types can it compress exactly since I haven't established the file type for my output yet? Would it simply match the type of the input files? 

Thanks

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ah sorry @brianvtran I only just saw your comment now. When you click download you should get an example workflow which shows how to set it up.

Essentially just pass the file location:

IraWatt_0-1657276612910.png

brianvtran
7 - Meteor

Hi @IraWatt 

I tried passing the file path to the Zip File Tool and it does create a zip folder but I don't think it's compressed since it's still the same size as my csv file. 

Also when I open the zip file, it includes the entire file path to the csv file instead of solely the csv file:

Instead of File.zip --> csv file it gives me, referencing the filepath in your screenshot as an example,

File.zip-->Users-->irawa-->Downloads-->Example (16)-->_externals-->1-->csv file

Maybe it's the same size as the csv file because of all the extra folders included in the zip folder but it's hard to say at this point. Is there any way you can update the Zip File tool

to only compress the file of interest and nothing else? 

Thanks

Brian

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @brianvtran,

Thanks for spotting this. I have updated the tool to only zip the file and not the folder structure. The tool now also uses compress type ZIP_DEFLATED so the files are now fully compressed.

brianvtran
7 - Meteor

Hey @IraWatt 

Thanks for updating the Zip File Tool, works like a charm now. 

I was wondering what zipping software did you use? I was doing some test runs between different zipping methods and saw the compressed files were the same size as the zipped files I compressed via Powershell but was able to compress larger files with your tool when Powershell has a 2GB file size limitation. 

On another sidenote, would you be able to tell me which zipping applications are different? I know there's 7zip. What I'm confused on is whether Winzip is different from Powershell. Up to this point, I was looking for a more native approach (no 3rd party apps) to compression/extraction and was under the impression that Powershell was utilizing Winzip. Though now I suspect they are also different apps; I tried googling this but couldn't find a clear answer. 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @brianvtran that is really interesting feed back about the 2GB limit. Also thank you for all your testing 😅. The tool uses the ZipFile library in Python. For you second question, I will first say I'm not a compression or encryption expert but I think one of the key difference between 7zip, Winzip, Python ZipFile, windows 10 zipping, ect... is the compression algorithm. Some may be quicker or produce a smaller file or are better with certain types of data I would imagine. Moreover some allow for encryption making the files secure (I think). 

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Hello @IraWatt Thanks for this APP!!

Two questions:

1. How to make use of that in Server?

2. I received an error saying that I need to install some packages.. What packages specifically? 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Joker_Hazard, It uses the Python zip-files library you will most likely need to open your Alteryx in Admin Mode to install the packages first time. Alternatively there is @Aguisande's Zip Files Tool which is all in Base A so no package install required.