Product/Dev Discussions

Use this space to engage with the Alteryx Product and Engineering teams.

ACE/DEV Days is Baaaaccckkk! June 2-3, 2021

SteveA
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey ACEs!

First off, we hope everyone is doing well during Covid.  It’s been a tough year+ for many in the extended Alteryx family, and our hearts go out to those who have been disproportionally impacted by the virus.  A small, daily gratitude practice is helping to keep motivation and spirits higher here, as well as the ability to let go and accept that some days are just.plain.hard.  We’ll get through this eventually.

In the meantime, what a great time to raise spirits by getting this motley crew back together for our sixth installment of ACE/Dev days!  It’s a chance to share ideas, raise issues directly with seasoned Alteryxers, plus proudly reveal that oh-**bleep**-I-have-to-cut-it-all-off-soon Covid hairstyle you’ve been hiding for too long (lookin' at you, @Hollingsworth...).

As with previous events, the session is split into two parts:

1. Lightning talks.  Exact length depends on participation but plan on 6-10 minutes.
  2. Open mic session.  A chance to expand on talks plus other ideas, problems, rants, and solutions to share.

As with previous events, we will hold two sessions to better accommodate those in different time zones:

1. Session 1: Wednesday June 2nd from 8:30AM-1PM MST
  2. Session 2: Thursday June 3rd from 2PM-6PM MST

One minor change this time around is we'd love to capture lightning talk topics and other themes for discussion in this thread so if you have an idea please respond to this post!

Stay tuned for a calendar invite and thank you all for being part of the Alteryx extended family!  Without you, we would be just another software company, and what fun is that?

Best,

Steve, Jesse, & The Community Team

25 REPLIES 25
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@SteveA I like to use the ideas board as random starting points to generate conversations. These are my 2 favorite that come to mind at the moment:

1) Add an eval function. For example, I could write this in the multi-field formula tool:

eval("IF ISnull([_CurrentField_])
Then ["+[_CurrentFieldName_]+"_right]
Else [_CurrentField_]
endif")

2) Let Question constants be used like user and engine constants. I would like to use the syntax [Question.Name] (instead of the reference shortcut %Question.Name%). It should also show up in the intellisense results just like engine and user constants. Given that user constants can be added, it would be nice to have question constants as well. 

Capture.PNG

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I like the idea of some sort of Ideas board roulette to randomly pick some ideas and get the ACEs and Devs to jam about those. This will see if we can take them further. As lots of ideas once they move beyond page 1 don’t get looked at by users so they don’t generate more discussion, but I bet there are some real gems in there.

is there a way to get a listing of all ideas to see what’s outstanding?

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
SteveA
Alteryx
Alteryx

I keep thinking about what an ideal Alteryx SDLC looks like.  Not just the physical manifestation (e.g., where workflows are stored, what versioning looks like, how macros are handled, ...) but also the human side of the equation.  This includes defining what an ideal "Alteryx developer" skillset looks like, establishing roles, building a developer mindset, what mentoring/upskilling looks like, etc.

It would be fun to work collectively on building out the ideal Alteryx SDLC in the context of software engineering/DevOps best practices.  Put simply, what can Alteryx developers learn from the software industry?

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Thanks for the shoutout to my glorious mane. 😆

It's not at the Joe Mako level of radiant glory, but we can all aspire to greatness, eh?

DEV DAY IDEA: I'd like to discuss how we can improve the caching feature.

Like, can we treat them more like bookmarks wherein there can be multiple across the canvas that can be a little more persistent.

For example, consider the following:

- I set a cache at a point early in the workflow. (e.g. after I download a huge chunk of data)

- I then set another cache at a point further below. (after I do a bunch of stuff)

- I realize that I have made an error between the two cache points

- I'd like to remove the second cache point and still have the first cache point in place so I don't have to redownload all of the data.

But at present, there can only be one cache point and when a new one is created, it clears any others. Also, I'd like to be able to cache my own macros. That doesn't seem to be possible now.

And there may be very real technical limitations to my requests, and if so I'd like to talk through them.

If there is a tradeoff that would have to be made, it would be good to hear other ACE's thoughts on those tradeoffs.

John Hollingsworth
Clear Channel Outdoor
Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

FYI, this was brought up in the recent ACE/Product meeting and on the point of version control, the overwhelming ACE consensus was to outsource the VCS to Git, et. al.

I love the idea of bringing best practices from the software industry to day-to-day development in Alteryx. (and also learning them in the first place. :D)

John Hollingsworth
Clear Channel Outdoor
SteveA
Alteryx
Alteryx

I don't know @Hollingsworth but it sounds like this ACE/Dev this time around might have a hair throwdown component we haven't had before.  There's a reason my wife won't let me grow it out anymore... maybe I need to dig through the archives for a proper intro slide shot.

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Here is the link to the Google Sheet that we have used to track ideas in past years. Some of this is outdated.

John Hollingsworth
Clear Channel Outdoor
CassC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Supporting external version control makes a lot of sense, and there are still valid questions about how to properly do that, so I think there's exploration to push for that.

CassC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@cgoodman3 Search is not robust enough to support a search for multiple tags, but you can filter an individual ideas board by them, and I assume there's a way to get to that list.

Looking at what's in Designer Ideas, it seems like the pool for this kind of a roulette would be:

New Idea

Not Planned

Inactive

Comments Requested