Product/Dev Discussions

Use this space to engage with the Alteryx Product and Engineering teams.

2018.4 UI/UX notes

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Wasn't sure of the right place to put this, figured I'd put it here to get opinions from other ACE's and put it all in one place.

I've had 2018.4 on my machine since the day it was released and as I've started to fiddle with it, I've noticed a few things that don't sit as well as I'd like them to.

These are in no particular order.

1. The "arrows" to scroll left and right through the Tool Palette highlight differently from the rest of the row, which makes it hard to tell that they are highlighted.

2. The "Active Documents" and "Run" buttons being right next to "Schedule Workflow" seems likely to cause a non-zero amount of confusion or accidental clicking.  In the old version, Run had a buffer of two icons that were relatively low-impact (Zoom in, Zoom out), and the "Active Documents" button was all alone in its location.  I can see accidentally clicking on Schedule or Run being a possibility in the new design when I don't intend to perform those actions

3. I understand the justification for removing the "X" from the individual tabs available in "View", but have two pieces of this I'd like changed.  I'd like to see the option to Close/Hide these panels on Right Click, and I'd like to see the "X" continue to exist for the Interface Designer and Overview panes, which are hidden by default.  In particular, I use the Interface Designer like a pop-up screen, and want to close it when I'm done - having to leave that screen and go back to Alteryx to View->Interface Designer is more work than it needs to be (Yes there is a shortcut that I could use, but you still have to click into Alteryx proper for that to work.)

4.  The Tool Palette:

• Having light font on a dark background immediately adjacent to a number of sections with dark font on light background is jarring, and personally gives me a bit of a headache.  I'm sure I can get used to it, since I doubt this is going away, but I figured I'd mention it.  This could also potentially relate to the font, but I'm not sure.
  • When hovered over, individual tool categories change to closely match the colors of the rest of the screen - and the font changes to dark on light, which exacerbates the above point.
  • When selected, the tool category font is bolded, which moves the text slightly out of line.  This is also pretty minor.

5.  The font - the new font is smaller and feels more "squeezed together" than the old font did.  This is really obvious to me when looking at the workflow configuration - version.  I've grabbed a screenshot from 2018.3 and 2018.4 in the same relative position to highlight the difference.

2018.4 looks blurrier than 2018.3, and is ever so slightly smaller.  The word Version also looks less readable - the e is almost touching the V and the s looks like it is very narrow right around the bend.

6. There is a button to open a New workflow, but Open, Save, and step forward/step back are gone.  Cut, Copy and Paste are gone too, but there are at least right-click options for that in the canvas.  I do click some of those buttons with some frequency, and in particular stepping forward/back now basically requires keyboard shortcuts to do effectively if you need to progress through multiple states, as clicking Edit->Undo or Edit->Redo repeatedly is a decent amount of mouse-work now compared to before.

6 REPLIES 6
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

One additional change, not a fan of is removing the anchor labels from the results pane:

2018.3:     2018.4:

2018-11-19_22-54-00.png       2018-11-19_22-56-05.png

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Agree with both of you.  Another thing that isn't optimal for me is the change of the palate icons from solid colors to just an outline.  Very hard to see. 

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Another thing that was taken away . . . when I work with Apps/Macros, for the Interface Designer window, I like to use CTL+ALT+D to open it, and then click the X to close it down.  The X has been removed, so now I have to right click and deselect Interface Designer to close it.  Would like to have the X back.  

Not sure I follow the logic on removing the various "click" options.  They take up little to no space, and for non-keyboard shortcut folks, they are really needed.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We plan on continue to make changes to the look of Designer for the next release and will incorporate your feedback into the prioritization of those changes. I'll continue to collect feedback and will reach out to you for additional information as we make changes. 

Rachel Wynn
Product Manager - Designer
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I noticed this yesterday, very odd that there is no X button - I'm not a fan!

Joe Lipski
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi all,

I agree with most of the notes written here.

In terms of the outline icons, I think, looking for consistency, they can be like the ones in the formula tool (blue back, white front). 

icons.jpg

icons2.jpg