New York City, NY

Welcome & Guidelines

Find tips to make the most of your User Group experience.

LEARN MORE

NYC Alteryx User Group Meeting Review (6/23)

DennisPeters
6 - Meteoroid

Aaron (Aaron Walters - CME Group) and I would like to thank all those who attended the NYC Alteryx User Group Meeting on Thursday (6/23)! I enjoyed Aaron's presentation on how his team is using Alteryx to conveniently parse Eurostat data to extract business value using a variety of the drag and drop Alteryx tools.  

It was my pleasure to share with you my experience at Inspire in San Diego and  encourage you to attend next year in a little place called Las Vegas. I also covered how I feel Alteryx is an essential tool in the modern BI stack that empowers business users and analytics teams to not only get their answers faster but also uncover new value in the data due to ease of prep and blending.  From my vantage point as a Technology Director, I presented how Alteryx nicely co-exists with existing Enterprise ETL processes (Informatica, SSIS, data warehouse etc.) and improves the efficiency and output of technology teams by reducing sql analysis requests and providing working data flows that can be productionalized via a significantly shortened SDLC.  (My 3 outcomes for an Alteryx Workflow)

I also touched on how 8 Alteryx tools made the data processing super convenient for us in 8 separate workflows.  ("That took us hours not days!", "I did not know we could even connect to that data", "It does that... I don't need to buy other software" and "We automated and improved that outsourced (ugly) process = hard $ savings") 

Finally, I went a bit more in depth on how Alteryx tightly integrates with Tableau (3 ways to push your data extract directly to Tableau server), presented the power of the Data Investigation palette (Field Summary, Association Analysis) from Ben Burkholder's excellent presentation at Inspire and my personal Top 24 Tips and Tricks. 

Afterwards Aaron, Sam Strong from Keyrus, George Kwong from BNY Mellon and I went to the Perfect Pint for a soda pop but probably could have discussed analytics for an additional 4 hours.

I wanted to share 1 success story from Corey at KPMG.  Under a tight deadline, he used Alteryx to process 55 csv files (fairly wide) for a total of 750 million rows in under 3 hours with an elegant 6 tool workflow - all on his laptop.

Also in attendance was my friend Suresh Vadakath (Sr. Alteryx Solution Engineer) who answered many questions for the guests.

Special thanks to Katherine Palmer and KPMG who provided the venue on Park Ave.  There is a strong possibility we will have the next meeting (late August) at the same location with sponsored food and drink.  Because our box of Alteryx swag did not arrive on time we will go big at the next meeting.  In addition there will be a DJ, photo booth and chocolate fondue fountain.  Top that Lee and Deanna!

(Lee Feinberg is the leader of the NY and NJ Tableau user groups whose meetings are great and we borrowed many ideas from) (Deanna Sanchez is the leader of the Dallas Alteryx user group who I had the pleasure of meeting at Inspire and has offered some great advice)

And of course thank you to Lauren Uyeno and Taylor Miller from Alteryx for their tireless assistance in getting the NYC User Group re-launched.

We are looking for presenters at our next meeting.  If interested please contact us.

If you would like to learn more about extended trial licensing or view a product demo please contact Enterprise Account Executive: Laura Sacchi (lsacchi@alteryx.com)

Best,

Dennis

0 REPLIES 0
Labels