Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

New York City, NY

Welcome & Guidelines

Find tips to make the most of your User Group experience.

LEARN MORE

May 2018 NYC Alteryx User Group : Technical Session : Macros!

b_b
8 - Asteroid

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nyc-alteryx-user-group-may-2018-technical-session-tickets-45502888364

Hello Alteryx Friends! The next AUG will be on May 8th at Slalom Consulting. RSVP here.

Agenda is as follows:

• 6:00 : Welcome and mingling
  • 6:10 : Macros 101 (Seth Moskowitz - Interpublic) : Presentation & Questions
  • 6:35 : Regex Macros (Kacper Ksieski - Keyrus) : Presentation & Questions
  • 7:00 : Open floor Macro Show and Tell (You!)
  • 7:30 : Closing

We hope to see you there! Please post here if you have questions.

PS - we will be hosting an informal happy hour session once a quarter in addition to the technical sessions. The informal happy hour will be held after Inspire in hopes of carrying on the conference's good vibes. 

NYC AUG.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
b_b
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

Looking forward to seeing you tonight! We will start around 6. Feel free to come by a little earlier to hang out and grab a slice.

Please call me at 319.231.8527 if you have issues getting inside.

PS - I have ordered pizza!

Thank you,

Britt

GarthM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hey there!

i'm going to try my best to attend tonight. looking forward to the presentations!!

-garth

attardc1
7 - Meteor

Will the presentation be available online if we are unable make it in time?

That would be very helpful!

b_b
8 - Asteroid

Hi! We won't be filming the presentations, and it will be up to the presenters on if they want to distribute their content.

If they're fine with sharing slides and (if non-sensitive work data) workflows, we will post them here. 

Thank you! Hope you can make it :). 

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hello --

Thak you for the question. Due to sensitivity issues, I won't be posting the slides online. I am more the happy discuss any questions you might have though.

Seth

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi All --

Attached you find my PowerPoint presentation along with the Workflow and Macro I demonstrated during our AUG on May 8th.

As an FYI, the workflow does not use any relative paths, so you will need to adjust to meet your needs. The macro also looks for a file called Clean 1.xlsx -- so you might need to create it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Seth

Kdpalmer
8 - Asteroid

Hi @smoskowitz and team -- Here is another use case for macros, to load in excel sheets in an excel document which have different schemas (format).  The dynamic input tool is most useful on sheets that have identifical schemas (e.g. data by month which each tab representing a month)

Kate

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Read-in-Multiple-Excel-Files-with-Multiple-T...

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

@Kdpalmer

Thank you for posting this Kate!

At the conference, they showed an example of using a macro to dynamically update formula's. Not only is this a great macro, but its actually a macro inside a macro. I attached what we used in class so you all can have a look.

Looking forward to the next conference in Nashville as well as our next AUG meeting.

Thanks,

Seth

GarthM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

if you're curious about complex macros (i.e., macros w/ nested macros) have a look at this one:

C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\Macros\Google_Analytics_v6.yxmc

The macro author is a real j3rk but there's a fair amount to be learned from looking under the hood of that thing. ;p

Labels