Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

New York City, NY

Welcome & Guidelines

Find tips to make the most of your User Group experience.

LEARN MORE

Aug. 2018 - NYC AUG (thoughts welcome !)

Kdpalmer
8 - Asteroid

Hi All - Had a great time with those who came out to the happy hour last week.  We are thinking of having our next session in early august.  Potential topics to include: 1) format and reporting  and 2) deep dive on one of alteryx's tech alliances.  These are by no means set in stone! Please let us know if you have a great idea or are willing to present.

Kate

14 REPLIES 14
smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @Kdpalmer -

Here are some thoughts for the NYC AUG that you may wish to consider:

Go more interactive!

1. Instead of a stand and present model, maybe we some figure out how the NYC AUG can get involved in Alteryx For Good. This would be a more hands on session and doesn't necessarily need to end when the session ends. This will foster learning, interactivity, and collaboration which make it more fun - all this and helping a great cause. Not sure who leads that aspect from an Alteryx perspective, but I bet Lauren can point us in the right direction.
  2. Let's do some weekly challenges. Somehow we divide up into groups with different skill levels. This will allow for the more experienced users to be challenged and the less experienced to learn. There could be some friendly competition and maybe some prizes.
  3. Of course not against some of the more traditional models. Maybe a presentation on pulling data from the web. The where's and how's. I would love to learn how this is done.

Here is a fun AUG activity that maybe we could get help with:

If I wanted to take the weekly challenges to the next level -- how could we challenge another AUG to a battle of the AUG's (Challenge the North Jersey AUG).

Taking it to the next level. We start with ALL AUG's and Alteryx comes up with a scenario we need to solve (kind of a Grand Prix for AUG's) and it whittles down like the World Cup and the last two battle it out. Sounds like a great way to advance ones skills with some fun and bragging rights.

Same concept as above but somehow we get all AUG's in AFG. Imagine the brain power all targeted on a single issue for a few hours? This would be amazing, but the logistics would be challenging.

Let me know what you think and have a nice 4th!

Seth

LaurenU
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @smoskowitz,

I love the suggestion to incorporate Alteryx For Good at a NYC AUG meeting. Volunteering your analytical expertise with a local non-profit not only allows collaboration with the group but you are doing good things by giving back to your community. Alteryx will donate a license to a non-profit (certain requirements will apply) for them to use. 

We have quite a few other user groups who are involved with the AFG program. @Deanna and @kscholer lead the Dallas Alteryx User Group. They have been successful connecting with a local non-profit and are currently volunteering their user group to help solve problems. 

Deanna, put together a great recap of their accomplishments and I think would be useful to help give you guys an idea of what to expect. I highly recommend reaching out to Deanna and Kristen if you have any questions about how to organize your group to volunteer. 

AFG is not only providing analytical expertise, non-profits always need extra hands to physically volunteer. Every now and then my team at Alteryx will go volunteer at a local food bank. It's a lot of fun and a good opportunity for networking and team building. 

I also like your idea about pitting User Group against User Group in a weekly challenge duel. I think the NJ group would be very interested. 

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

@LaurenU --

I hope you had a happy 4th!

Thank you for the reply (and by the way, great job on the podcast!)

For the Alteryx for Good idea, what do you see as a good approach to get started? I am just gathering information at this time as I would certainly want to get buy-in from @Kdpalmer before moving forward with this (or any of my idea), but it certainly doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Also, who is the AUG leader for North Jersey? We might want to reach out and talk about some of ideas.

Thanks,

Seth

LaurenU
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@smoskowitz, my 4th was very relaxing. I got to spend some time in my backyard hammock and reading a book with my dog. I hear you folks are going through a heat wave, I'm in a little disbelief that SoCal's weather has been extremely mild lately (however, i hear the heat is coming). :)

I hope your was enjoyable as well. 

Alteryx For Good: I would suggest doing some research and make asks to local non-profits. A big chunk of time spent at User Group meetings has been deciding which non-profit (NPO) to volunteer with and if the NPO sees Alteryx as a good fit. Surprisingly, lots of NPO's are skeptic to getting a free software license. Hah, whodathunk?

So in short, what helps move AFG along quicker:

1) Offer to the entire user group 2-3 options to choose from. 

2) Talk to the NPO prior to the UG meeting to scope out requirements, their challenges, and if Alteryx is a good fit. 

As I mentioned some NPOs are skeptic about Alteryx, what helps overcome this barrier is really selling how Alteryx can help save their time and resources. Also that the user group will volunteer their time to train and support their team members to help tackle their problems. And if we need to bring in the big guns, we have a full team here at Alteryx that manages the AFG program. We can certainly loop them in. Hope these tips help! 

Happy to connect you with the leaders from NJ: @RichBZ4M@lrygiel@mc_wallendjack @Syfer889

These guys are awesome and love thinking outside the box. I'm sure you all can come up with something creative!

Kdpalmer
8 - Asteroid

Hi @smoskowitz and @LaurenU -- Apologies, I have been traveling the last 2 weeks  @smoskowitz  I think all your ideas are great - let's explore the following:

1. Scoping some groups to inquire on Alteryx for Good to bring a short list to the team

2. I'll relook at Deanna's work on best practices for AFG-- of course many groups would be happy to have extra help but I have questions on how we approach them, how we develop our value prop, and how we develop an execution plan

3. BATTLE! Happy to battle some other regional AUG. @LaurenU Let's think how this would look and whether we want to prioritize AFG or BATTLE first

4. I like the Weekly challenge idea.  We can pick an easy, medium, hard and send out the #s with the invite.  Then depending on how many attendees show up/do problems, we can use 10 minutes as a mini group breakout time for them to discuss.

Kate

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @Kdpalmer --

I hope you had some fun while traveling!

If you like, I can reach out to the AFG, Tori Adamo and maybe we could speak to her first. Her title is Sr. Manager, Alteryx for Good & University Relations - so she might be a great person to get us going, and who knows, she might have some insight to NPO's in the NYC area already.

If you like, I can reach out to her and maybe we get on the phone and get some background. What do you think?

Seth 

LaurenU
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I feel more comfortable focusing on AFG first, we have never done an inter UG battle before. I would propose we do this in late Q3/Q4 (Maybe a holiday mixer?). And between now and then, we should consider having conversations with the NJ group. 

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @LaurenU --

What you said makes sense as AFG has already been done and there is a pool of knowledge out there. Does it make sense to speak with Tori Adamo and get some insight from her? Maybe there are some NYC based groups that she knows of that we can leverage.

Thanks,

Seth

LaurenU
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@smoskowitz, yeah reach out to @ToriA and @QuyenT. They manage the AFG program, they can give you some pointers. I also would reach out to other User Group Leaders, they have been the trailblazers in getting AFG into user groups. @Deanna got things moving for all user groups (AFG Award Recipient 2017). Neighbor @RichBZ4M (North Jersey AUG) was this year's AFG Award Recipient. @MarqueeCrew, was also this year's AFG Recipient and currently has an AFG activity planned this week. And the Bangalore Alteryx User Group is doing incredible things in India ( @ydmuley@Nezrin@scolaco@SubratDas5). They just gave me an update they were able to successfully help out 5 charities!

Labels