Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

London, UK

Welcome to the London User Group

Click in the JOIN GROUP button in Home to follow our news and attend our events!

Recap - #18 February User Group - 06/02/2019

paul_houghton
12 - Quasar

Recap

2019 kicked off on the 6th of Feb with the first user group of the year at the Slalom offices in London Bridge. Our Slalom host Michal demoed how to get an Alteryx Server Proof of Concept started and running on AWS in 10minutes using the AWS marketplace and with how to start using the new server for automating workflows. You can find out more about how to deploy on AWS from the best practices white paper here and a Customer use case here.

Advent of Code

Next up James, Chris and Niklas shared some of their learnings from completing the 2018 Advent of Code challenges in Alteryx. They started by showing off their solutions to a couple of challenges they enjoyed.

They finished by sharing their top learnings, James highlighted that trying these challenges can provide learnings that are very relatable to your day job (even in a roundabout way). Chris highlighted that testing is good, more testing is better. even when you test a process it doesn’t always break quickly so having lots of built-in testing allows for more confidence in production. Finally, Niklas highlighted that 1 billion is massively bigger than 1 million. While it sounds obvious, he highlighted that 1 million seconds is 11.5 days, but 1 billion seconds is 32 years. A huge difference.

James wrote a fantastic blog title “Alteryx-ing the Advent of Code” which you can read here: https://jdunkerley.co.uk/2019/01/01/alteryx-ing-the-advent-of-code/

And you can attempt the 2018 Advent of Code yourself here: https://adventofcode.com/

And can compare your scores against James, Niklas, Chris and other's Alteryx users by using code: 453066-ca912f80

2019-02-18 09_38_37-Window.png

Open Mic Download Tool

The last segment brought back our open mic sessions, this time highlighting the download tool. We had some great support from the community showing off their download applications. My take is one of the great applications is to power the spatial tools available in Alteryx. It can be a challenge to find the Latitude and Longitude to use the spatial tools and the presenters showed off some great ways to get the Latitude and Longitude and then put it to use. If you want to see how these community creations happen, then come along to our next session and see those tips get shown off in person.

Christmas recap

Last time as part of our Christmas User Group entertainment each of the winning groups chose a charity to donate too. The three charities were The British Heart Foundation chosen by Hannah Roland, Operation Fistula by Team 1 where Naledi Hollbrügge works, finally Shelter chosen by Oliver Headland. All up £160 was raised and shared out between the charities. Thanks to all that participated.

LAUG Certification

Finally, we are going to run an extra session on March 26 to help get more people certified. We will be running a certification session where we will have 1 hour to cover off any tips, tricks and answer any pre-exam questions before everyone sits down and completes the exam over the next 2 hours. In order to take part, you will need to have signed up for the certification on academy.alteryx.com and RSVPed to the meetup page where all the details will be posted.

https://www.meetup.com/Alteryx-User-Group-London-UK/events/258870079/

Thanks all we look forward to seeing you at the certification session or our next meetup in April.

DywsUQKWwAACKSv.jpgDywsUQNX4AAAs1Y.jpgIMG_0585.JPGIMG_3993.jpgIMG_4005.jpgIMG_4007.jpgIMG_4013.jpgIMG_4014.jpgIMG_4020.jpgIMG_4024.jpgIMG_4029.jpgIMG_4030.jpgIMG_4035.jpgIMG_4037.jpgIMG_4042.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
LaurenU
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thank you for sharing this recap @paul_houghton !

I wish I was near London to attend, I agree with you the Spatial tools are fascinating and you can do so much with them! Learning more about spatial definitely is one of my Alteryx goals for 2019. 

steven4320555
8 - Asteroid

Hi Paul

Thanks for sharing the comprehensive and resourceful recap. A lot of interesting topics.

It is a pity I did not make it, but I got some useful sigh posts after reading this recap. 

I love the expression of "1 billion is massively bigger than 1 million. While it sounds obvious, he highlighted that 1 million seconds is 11.5 days, but 1 billion seconds is 32 years." highlight given by Niklas. And I twitted it https://twitter.com/steven4320555/status/1096727612821508100. 

I am interest to know more about how download tool is powering the spatial tools. It sounds cool! 

I have registered the certification session following Joe's twitter https://twitter.com/Joe_Lipski/status/1094971846662017025 , it seems more timely there, hope there are still enough places for people who want take the benefit. 

Lastly, just a tiny thing: There is a typo in the of month part of this recap "Recap - #18 February User Group - 06/01/2019".

Steven

paul_houghton
12 - Quasar
Hi Steven thanks for the spot on the date, have fixed it now.
Look forward to seeing you at the next user group and good luck with the certification
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I've fixed the links and added the photos from the event!

Joe Lipski
steven4320555
8 - Asteroid

Nice pictures. Thanks for the updates. 

MarcusDoesBI
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the recap Paul!  Do you remember what the site was for the Alteryx Community API? I wan't to connect to download my Alteryx challenge details and create a tracker.

Cheers!

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The App to get your completed Weekly Challenges I demoed is available https://www.dropbox.com/s/42avcm6t5u93vn4/WeeklyData%20By%20User.yxwz

msicak
8 - Asteroid

thanks @paul_houghton for the summary, and @Joe_Lipski for the pictures (and Gillian for great feedback) !

It was fun hosting the event, hope next time you won't be in a different time zone, Joe :)