This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
The Q2 2020 Business and Location Insights data packages are now available for your analysis. The packages include analytics-ready data from a variety of vendors as well as data-specific analysis tools which will empower users to get the most from the packaged data. Here’s what you have to look forward to in this release!
Data Products 101
Part 1: Installing your Data (Network & Command Line)
This article will walk through the Network data installation process and is intended for Admins. If you are looking for a guide on the standard local installation process, then check out our article on Local Data Installation.
Network Data Install (Advanced)
Considering that the entire US Business Insights bundle is around 180GB, we often have cases where a user will run out of hard drive space during the data install. If you find yourself in this boat and are on a company network, you can resolve your space issues by performing a network install with the Alteryx Data Installer.
This can also potentially save a huge amount of installation time when you have multiple users for the Data Bundle. Instead of performing this lengthy install numerous times – once for each user – you can install once and be done.
The downside to a Network Install is performance. A Local Install will almost always have better performance, as a Network Install is limited to network speeds and read/write times on your network drive.
A Network Install consists of two operations:
1. Preparing the Network Installation – contents of the Alteryx Data Install are copied to and prepared on your network location.
2. Registering the Network Installation – where each of your users navigate to the prepared network location in order to register the data sets to their machine.
To Prepare a Network Installation:
1. Follow Steps 1 – 4 within the (Local Installation process article)[hyper-link here].
2. You should now be at the Location screen - choose ‘Prepare a Network Install’ and browse to the shared network location where you wish to install. Be sure that all users have the same configuration if you're using a mapped network drive.
At a minimum, each of your users will need read access to this location. If you plan to install CASS to this network location, then your users will also need write access to this location.
Click ‘Finish’ after selecting the network location and let the Alteryx Data Installer run.
3. Once the installation is complete, each of your users will need to register the Prepared Network Install to their computers.
To Register a Network Installation:
1. Each user will need to navigate to the location where you Prepared the Network Install. Once there, run ‘AlteryxDataInstall.exe’ and follow Steps 1 – 4 as outlined under the Local Data Install guide. On the Location screen, select ‘Register from a Network Location and click ‘Finish’.
2. The installation process should take no more than a couple minutes to copy over a handful of files to the user’s computer (sample data, etc.). Once done registering, the user can immediately start accessing the installed data in Alteryx.
Command Line Install (Advanced)
The Alteryx Data Installer also has command line operations for all of our IT users. Please refer to our Command Line documentation for more details.
Data Products 101
Part 1: Installing your Data (Standard)
So, you just bought one of the Data Bundles from Alteryx and you’re excited to dive in and start exploring Location and Business Insights for your company – but where do you start? How do you get access to this Data? Well, unlike a SQL database or CSV you might be used to working with, you’re going to start by installing these Data Products. This article will walk through the standard data installation process. If you are an Admin and are interested in a Network or Command Line installation, check out our article on Data Installation for Admins.
First and foremost, do you have your Data Package yet?
If you purchased either the US or Canada Business Insights bundles, you should have received a hard drive in the mail. If you have your hard drive plugged in and read, then go ahead and skip to Step 1 below.
If you purchased one of our Location Insights spatial bundles, then head to licensing and download portal and download the data. Assuming you have your Spatial license key activated, it’ll be under the Data Packages tab on the left – just click on the bundle you wish to download and then the .7z file you wish to download. Pay attention to the vintage tag as you’ll want the most recent quarter’s data.
Be sure to extract the .7z package after you’ve downloaded it. We recommend creating a new folder that you will extract into – instead of extracting everything onto your desktop.
If you haven’t received your US/CAN Business Insights hard drive yet, or don’t see the Data Packages tab on the Licensing and Downloads portal, you should reach out to our Fulfillment Team for support.
Local Data Installation Steps
The local data install is the standard installation type. First, you’ll want to make sure Alteryx is closed. Next, either plug in your Alteryx Data hard drive or navigate to wherever you extracted the data from the Licensing and Downloads portal and run the ‘AlteryxDataInstall.exe’ to launch the Alteryx Data Installer.
1. Click Next when the Welcome Screen appears.
2. Read and Accept the license agreement then click Next.
3. Select the data sets you would like to install. If you want all of them just click the All button on the right. Otherwise, you can select individual Data Products by selecting the check box next to them. After you’ve made your selection, click Next.
4. Choose any previously installed Data Products that you would like to uninstall by selecting them similarly to the previous screen. You don't have to choose anything here if you want to keep everything, however, keep in mind that these data bundles can be very large and you may not have enough space to keep multiple vintages installed locally. After you’ve made your selection, click Next.
5. Leave ‘Install to a Local Directory’ selected and browse to the file path you would like to install the data to. The default path will be auto-populated but if you'd like to install it somewhere else just update the path. Make sure the hard drive you install the data to has enough space. For instance, the US Business Insights bundle takes up over 180GB and we recommend 500GB of space for Alteryx Designer – so you will want to have at least 700GB available.
Once you’ve selected the install path, hit Finish and let the Alteryx Data Installer run.
Feel free to kick back and relax now – as this will take some time. An install of the entire US Business Insights bundle may take well over 3 hours depending on your hard drive write speed.
6. When you get to the ‘Complete’ screen you’re done. Now you can load up Alteryx and start diving into Business and Location Insights!
If you’re unsure where to get started with actually using these Data Products, then be sure to check out Part 2 of my Data Products 101 series. Stayed tuned for more to come!
Platform Product: Allocate/Behavioral Issues – Working with Alteryx Customer Support Engineers (CSEs)
To EXPEDITE the resolution of your case, please include the below information.
Allocate/Behavioral - Requested Information
*** Suggestion: copy/paste the questions below and email the supporting documentation to email@example.com
1. Detailed Description of the Issue
2. Screenshot of Alteryx Version
3. Screenshot of Error
4. What dataset and vintage are you using?
5. Please send a copy of your workflow (*.yxmd or *.yxzp)
6. Please send your .ini files in the data install folder for the data set. (optional)
Allocate/Behavioral – Requested Information (Detailed Instructions):
1. Detailed Description of the Issue – What issues are you having? Has it worked in the past? When did the issue start? Are all users affected or just some? What are the steps to reproduce your issue? What have you tried to resolve the issue? Have you searched the Alteryx Community?
2. Screenshot of Alteryx Version– Our CSEs need to know the precise version of Alteryx so we can replicate any issues. In Alteryx, click Help > About and provide a screenshot.
The screenshot will include whether it is Server or Designer. In addition, whether it is “Running Elevated” Admin vs. Non-Admin.
3. Screenshot of Error or Exact Text of Error- Click CTRL-Print-screen to capture the error and paste into your e-mail. Also include where was the error encountered – Gallery, Designer, Scheduler?
Note: You may wish to Google the error text research the issue. The Knowledgebase is also a great place to search the error text as well!
4. What dataset and vintage are you using? From the Allocate Input tool, click the Drop Down for Choose a Dataset. What dataset is selected? If “Most Recent Vintage”, what is the Dataset below? i.e. Experian US 2018A (Q4 2018).
5. Please send a copy of your workflow (*.yxmd or *.yxzp) and sample data if possible. Either create a .yxzp and include macros and data by clicking Options>Export Workflow. Or, include the workflow *.yxmd and sample data if possible.
6. Please send your .ini files in the data install folder for the data set. (optional) C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\DataProducts.ini
Renaming Allocate Variables
Extract error while installing data package on an external drive
Product - US Business Insights data package
When installing the US Business Insights data package on an external drive that is connected by USB, an extract error from the Alteryx Data Manager may occur.
Larger files over 4 GB in the data set could not be installed and are missing. Right click on the drive in File Explorer and go to the Properties. If the file system is FAT32, the drive will need to be reformatted, as the maximum file size on FAT32 is 4 GB.
Right-click on the drive, select Format, and then choose NTFS.
Note: working with data from a USB drive will be slower than having the data installed on the computer’s local internal drive. Also, the associated drive letter for the USB drive must remain the same for the data to be found by the Designer initialization files. The use of a file server and UNC paths are recommended to maintain a stable file path.
Location Data Knowledge Base
Have you recently updated your Alteryx version, and now are getting an error when you try to run workflows that use Spatial Data? This article outlines the symptoms, diagnosis, and solution for the Error: “The Designer .x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile: Not enough bytes read. Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.” message associated with Spatial Tools.
This question comes up frequently because some of the US Data and Spatial datasets are HUGE and we want to ensure there's enough hard drive space available. To help users better anticipate hard drive requirements, file sizes are included on the installation media in the Documentation folder of the update in a Excel worksheet. The .xlsx is titled Alteryx Qx 201x Variable List and includes file sizes for the United States and Canada in a worksheet labeled File sizes. File sizes reflect the installed file size.
If you have questions or comments about this table, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This note is to alert users of Alteryx 8.6 to 10.5 of an error message that may appear if a user previously installed the combined US and Canada CASS dataset and then in subsequent data updates separately installs CASS for a single country.
Some clients reported receiving a message in the Alteryx Designer that “CASS is not installed properly or it has expired.” Once CASS is installed for both countries, supporting program files continue to look for the combined dataset even if CASS is uninstalled and a single country is reinstalled.
The instigating files are identified and a resolution is being explored, however, this error appears to be inherent to the source data itself.
Action required: 1. Close open instances of Alteryx 2. Delete the CASS.ini file which in most cases resides on the user’s local drive (C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\DataSets\CASS\CASS.ini) 3. Locate the most recent CASS installs and re-run the installation executables 4. Relaunch Alteryx and verify the CASS tool is no longer reporting an error
This note is to alert users of Alteryx 8.6 to 10.1 of a potential message window that may appear after updating the US and Canadian CASS engine. Subsequent to completing the CASS installation and closing the installer, some clients have reported receiving a message window stating that the program may not have been installed correctly. This message can be disregarded and will not impact dataset functionality.
The source of the problem is being identified and a fix will be included in future Alteryx software releases.
Action Simply choose ‘Cancel’ to close the Program Compatibility Assistant window. Alteryx can then be opened and workflows can be run as normal.
Was the installation of CASS successful? Yes, CASS was installed fully and all scripts have finished running.
Will this message impact my installation or existing workflows? This message is entirely cosmetic; there are no impacts to the installation or workflows.
Multiple users reported problems when installing CASS (US and Canada) to the same file folder where the executable is saved. When registering the CASS data, an error message appears and installation cannot continue.
Users extracting and installing files to the same network folder can create conflicts. During the install and registration process Alteryx identifies files as being in use and cannot continue with the final registration of data. If you receive no errors when installing CASS, no action is needed. If an error is encountered during the Prepare a Network Install step, consider file cleanup and a reinstall of the data. The attached document displays an example of the installation error.
What’s the typical network install process?
Start with a CASS executable to extract the install files to a temporary location
Install CASS files to a different directory or network location than where extracted
Register the extracted data. As a best practice, avoid installing the CASS data to the same file directory where CASS is initially extracted. Also ensure you have administrative permissions to write to this location of your C: drive - C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\DataSets\CASS since this is where a required Alteryx instruction file is written.
Ensure you have write permissions to C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\DataSets\CASS
Delete the CASS files initially downloaded and installed
Download and extract the CASS install files to a location with at least 1.2 GB available space
Navigate to the extracted file location, double click DataInstall.exe
Select Prepare a Network Install for the CASS data, ensure the install directory is different from the extracted files directory. Complete the install.
Navigate to the new install directory, double click DataInstall.exe, follow the prompts then select Register from a Network Location to complete the install.
If you have other concerns or need assistance with these instructions, please contact our Customer Support team at email@example.com .
This post pertains to any user that downloaded the US Spatial (Q4 2018) package from the Downloads & Licenses portal between the initial release on Wednesday, February 20th, and ~1:30pm EST on Friday, March 1st. You'll know that you have the outdated download package if you do not see 'TomTom US Q4 2018' on the 'Install' screen under the 'Drivetime Datasets' section.
The initial package did not contain the TomTom US Q4 2018 Drivetime data (Guzzler). Should users require the Q4 2018 US Drivetime data, they'll need to download the updated package and rerun the install. Fortunately only a portion of the install needs to be executed unless a Network Install was used. After downloading and extracting the updated package, you can upgrade the TomTom US Q4 2018 Drivetime data with the following steps (for local installation).
Run AlteryxDataInstall.exe and select 'None', then only select the Drivetime dataset.
Uninstall TomTom US Q3 2018 if desired.
Finish the installation as usual and be sure to restart Designer to refresh the list of available data sets.
For customers that utilize the Network Installation process, the simplest approach would be to prepare a full network install in a new location, then ask users to uninstall the entire data package and re-register from the new location (as the registration process is quick to execute).
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please feel free to post questions below.
Team Lead, Data Products