Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Inspire Europe 2018 | Buzz

Stay up-to-date, connect with peers & share your experience!

MarqueeCrew's Guide to London Lingo (2018)

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

It's that time again and I'm preparing for my #AlteryxEU18 trip.  I wanted to make sure that I'm able to join into conversations with everyone and thought I should help others travelling to London with my London Lingo Learning.  So here's what I've learned new for 2018:

• "Give me a tinkle."
    • While that's something that I generally say to my poodle, Juliet, when I'm in London you might hear me saying this to just about anyone.  "Hey @AdamR_AYX, give me a tinkle when you're ready for dinner."
  • "Dog's dinner"
    • Speaking of poodles, maybe when I am helping in the Solution Centre I might hear "You've made a dog's dinner of that workflow."  
  • "Take the biscuit"
    • While I already learned about cookies (by the way, why are browser cookies not called biscuits?) being called biscuits.  I now know that if I "take the biscuit" it could be rather irritating to those saying it.
  • "Bagsy"
    • But if there really is a plate of biscuits and if offered one, I should immediate shout out "Bagsy" if needed.

Now that I am chuffed with my new knowledge of the English language, I can focus on my technical Alteryx skills.

• "Blinder"
    • Sometimes I pull a blinder when answering a difficult challenge.  I guess I'm lucky sometimes.
  • "Bog-standard"
    • I avoid the bog-standard workflow by adding lots of containers, comments and pictures.
  • "Butchers"
    • "Hey @JessicaS, would you take a butchers at this workflow for me?"
  • "Chockablock"
    • "This should have been a doddle.  We should have taken another route here, this workflow is chocka!"
  • "Wangle"

So for those in London who are not impressed with my sense of accomplishment and for those in the US (and abroad) who are confused by my lesson here, you've still got time to study and prepare for Inspire.  I try not to be a swot and hope that you don't get shirty with me for my efforts.  We can drink a pint and leave being mortal to the anorak with the brolly who's come to our pub and asked us to budge up so that he can give us a load of codswallop.

Last year I missed #AlteryxEU17 because of Sod's law.  This year I hope to avoid all hurricanes and have given myself a couple of weeks between my holiday and Inspire.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
3 REPLIES 3
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

A jolly good post, @MarqueeCrew, per usual. You're a real corker! Looks like it will be a smashing time in London, indeed... Cheerio!

NJ

AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yeah... I'd be careful with that first one, governor:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/tinkle

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@AdamR_AYX,

Hopefully we're talking about #1 and not #2 (Note to self:  that response could further muddy the waters).

See you Friday!

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.