Check out the Inspire breakout session catalog! From inspiring stories about business transformation to analytics best practices, our breakout sessions have something for everyone.  

Inspire | Buzz

Ask questions, connect with other conference attendees, and share your experience.

Non-work related Alteryx uses

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious to hear if you've used Alteryx outside of your usual day-job to take on a fun project or help something in your personal life. I used Alteryx to connect to an API for a video game I play to crunch some numbers on the best items to use. I'm sure some of you out there have some very creative workflows!

17 REPLIES 17
terry10
11 - Bolide

I analyze my fitness tracking data using Alteryx. 💪 

SusanCS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I downloaded my Goodreads data and analyzed it in Designer. 📚I especially wanted to find books that would be more accessible as e-books through the library, but it was pretty fun to also check out trends in my quantity of reading over time, plus correlations between my ratings and books' genre, age, etc. 

MaddieJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@wdavis has done a lot of work with this!

Highly recommend "Will's Weekly Wonders" where he uses Alteryx to help find movie recommendations, and create the ultimate Friday night playlist!

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

I have way too much fun with Alteryx, and most of the weird things I do become Weekly Challenges 😄

• I used mapping and spatial tools to visualize data from a road trip (manually collected and from my OBDII logger) - discussed in this related thread with more great examples from others!
  • I built an app to help me validate messages for my lighted marquee sign (office decoration), which became Weekly Challenge #250

• Our analyst community went to an Atlanta Braves game as part of our annual analyst retreat, and we built a workflow to generate baseball bingo cards (that became Weekly Challenge #191!)

• We also did a walking challenge leading up to the last in-person Inspire, and built a tracking dashboard (in Alteryx, of course!) - part of that became Weekly Challenge #166

• When our internal Alteryx user group hit the milestone of doing 100 weekly challenges together, we made up our own challenge, which used Alteryx + the Python tool to generate a celebratory gif! (which was inspired by Weekly Challenge #150)

challenge_20200423_output.gif

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

(responding to this post)

@terry10 - what types of analysis do you do with your fitness data?

wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks @MaddieJ!

Yes, I've spent the last few weeks looking to see what I could find out from all of the personal data I can get access to. I've included links to all of these below as short videos, but can share these workflows if people are interested in applying it to their own scenarios.

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Awesome question! Here's a few from me:

• Tracking and analysing my finances using open banking APIs
  • Understanding my travel habits (pre-covid)
  • Analysing my gym activity (pre-covid)
  • Next on the to-do list - analysing my golf statistics

Joe Lipski
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Good question.

1. Spotify analysis

2. Pricing analysis for trading.

3. Probably shouldn't share this but hey ho:

I had a problem with a product I purchased and the company refused to respond to me requests for a refund. I used Alteryx to scrape the details for the board members of the company. I then automated an email from the server to send them an email on the hour every hour using a FROM email with an incremental number so they couldn't block me.

I ran that for two days until the problem resolved itself.

Don't try that at home, kids.

M.

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I did this until it got too depressing.

Bulien