Check out the Inspire breakout session catalog! From inspiring stories about business transformation to analytics best practices, our breakout sessions have something for everyone.  

Inspire | Buzz

Ask questions, connect with other conference attendees, and share your experience.

2019 Grand Prix Europe & Challenge Index

LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Do you like building workflows faster than your friends? Interested in flexing your Alteryx muscle in front of a roaring crowd? If you answered YES, you might just have what it takes to be our next Grand Prix Champion in London!

Here’s how you can compete in the upcoming event:

2019 Grand Prix Europe Qualification and Timeline

• Register for the Grand Prix by Friday, 30 August
  • Each racer will compete in ONE 60-minute WebEx session to complete workflows judged by Alteryx Grand Prix referees. These will take place the week of 2 September (see times below)*.
    • Successful workflow completion earns you points, with the top racers advancing to the finals at Inspire Europe
    • You must be able to access Dropbox and WebEx during the preliminary round
  • The 2019 Alteryx Grand Prix Europe will take place Thursday, 17 October

Additional information along with Grand Prix Europe 2019 Rules can be found here: Registration for the 2019 Grand Prix Europe is now open

2019 Grand Prix Europe INDEX cover.pngIf you're looking for opportunities to flex your muscles to prepare for the qualifying rounds -- take a stab at completing one (or all!) of our former Grand Prix challenges!

Grand Prix Challenge Index

Grand Prix Challenge Level of Difficulty Main Subject
2019 Grand Prix US - Heat 1 Intermediate Predictive
2019 Grand Prix US - Heat 2 Intermediate Data Analysis
2019 Grand Prix US - Heat 3 Intermediate Spatial
Alteryx '16 Grand Prix (Race1, L1) Intermediate Data Preparation
Alteryx '16 Grand Prix (Race 1, L2) Beginner Data Analysis
Alteryx '16 Grand Prix (Race 2, L1) Intermediate Data Preparation
Alteryx '16 Grand Prix (Race 2, L2) Intermediate Spatial
Inspire Europe '16 Grand Prix (L1) Intermediate Data Analysis
Inspire Europe '16 Grand Prix (L2) Intermediate Data Analysis
Inspire Europe '16 Grand Prix (L3) Intermediate Data Analysis
2013 Alteryx Grand Prix (L1) Intermediate Data Analysis
US Grand Prix Lap 1 - Data Prep Beginner Data Preparation
US Grand Prix Lap 2 - Employee Retention Intermediate Predictive
US Grand Prix Lap 3 - Where to Host an Event Intermediate Spatial
US Grand Prix Prelims - NASA Location Analysis Intermediate Spatial
US Grand Prix Prelims - Email Dates Intermediate Data Cleansing
EMEA Grand Prix Prelims - Time Series Intermediate Predictive

Are there other Alteryx skills you’d like to put into practice as you prepare for the Grand Prix? We’ve got you covered. You'll find OVER 174 Weekly Challenges on Alteryx Academy to beef up your training regimen.

Last but not least, I’d love to hear from some of our former competitors and champions on how they approached preparing for the Grand Prix!

@Kenda@Garrett@PhilipMannering@cplewis90@alv728@BenMoss@mattagee@NicoleJohnson@TeinSing@JasonQu@JonMcMillin@kat@yalmar_m@Natasha -- As an experienced Alteryx competitor...

How did you get ready for the Grand Prix? Did you have a training regimen? Do you have any recommendations or tips to share with new competitors?

11 REPLIES 11
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I've heard that the key to winning is using the vertical layout? Can you comment @jarrod ?

#TeamVertical

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I got ready for the Grand Prix qualifiers through the weekly challenges and also having both the core and advanced certifications. Having those two certifications pushes you to learn spatial and predictive tools. My training regimen was just looking over tools in spatial and predictive tools to make sure I understood what options each one had and looking through one tool examples if tools. My recommendation and tips is to remember in the prelims every problem can be solved quickly. They are not complicated and if you think it is super complicated break it down into smaller steps to solve as that makes it easier to digest. My other tip would be to read the instructions fully and don't start with any part of the workflow until you read all the instructions (watch the Grand Prix video to see this in action). One final tip, remember to relax and have fun as you are solving these problems. If you get to be up on stage it will be a highlight of the conference for sure. Congrats to all the past contestants and winners and to all the future contestants good luck!

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@patrick_digan  I have to say I am #TeamHorizontal for sure, but then again I did not emerge victorious so you may be onto something.

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@patrick_digan yes! vertical > horizontal for many reasons:

1) more people have won the Grand Prix using Vertical (just ignore the historical bias in the data though) 🙂

2) Left is left and right is right. 

3) true is left and False is righ

4) Source and universe are in the proper location as well

5) scroll wheels go up and down (i know, sometimes you can roll left/right, but not all can without a hot key)

6) yes, we read left to right, but we also read top to bottom

7) vertical is easier on the eyes 

I'm sure there are more reasons, but these are off the top of my head 🙂

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

To me it's all about exposing yourself to as many different business problems as possible, which will expose you too a whole load of different methodologies for configuring those 200+ tools that exist in the product!

Fortunately my work is quite varied as a consultant, but if you find yourself tackling the same problems over and over, that's when the weekly challenges become super useful!

If you make it to the final, my tip is drink wine.

Grand Prix Europe 2017 = a lot of wine consumed = win

Grand Prix US 2018 = sober = loss

TeinSing
5 - Atom

Go thru weekly challenges(focus on predictive & Spatial) & past Grand Prix is for sure.
Most important is get ready for the stage!!

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@jarrod @patrick_digan Horizontal was my demise!

But I agree with much of what others have said. Go through those weekly challenges and spend a little bit of time at least familiarizing yourself with how some tools work that you don't typically use. Practice speeding things up a little bit by using shortcuts like Ctrl + R.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I actually used a standing desk for a bit before the Grand Prix to get used to using my computer standing up...  Dunno if that helped. Practicing a ridiculous amount was probably the main basis for success.

Natasha's advice to me was get a good pit crew, which I did with Ben 'the Boss' Moss.

Garrett
11 - Bolide

PRACTICE?!?!?!?! That's cheating.

Teaching other people to use Alteryx and using Alteryx to solve client use cases is the best preparation.