Check out the Inspire breakout session catalog! From inspiring stories about business transformation to analytics best practices, our breakout sessions have something for everyone.  

Inspire | Buzz

Ask questions, connect with other conference attendees, and share your experience.
SOLVED

MarqueeCrew's Guide to Sydney Slang

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Figure it out for yourself!

Inspire APAC will be here in just “ + DateTimeDiff(DateTimeNow(),”2019-03-20”, 'Days') + “ days!

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 9.31.11 PM.png

It’s time to get ready for my trip down under (my trip to Australia) and while I know that French is entirely Greek to me, my English is far from bonzer[1].  In fact, I’ve not been bludger[2], in fact quite the contrary.  I’ve been busier than a blue-arsed fly[3].  My passport and visa in hand, I’m ready to start packing.  I’ll need some help deciding what to bring with me on my trip.  Here are a few choices to make.  Which of the following do you think that I should bring for a beach outing and which should I leave behind?

1. Budgie Smugglers[4]
  2. Cossie[5]
  3. Doona[6]
  4. Sunnies[7]
  5. Togs[8]

Flying from Kalamazoo (Yes!  There really is a Kalamazoo.), Michigan to Sydney, Australia is more than just a little billabong[9] jump.  My trip will take more than 30 hours and I’ll be taking 3 flights.  Thankfully, there is the Admiral’s club to look forward to as well as free drinks on the flight.  I’ll have to pace myself so that I don’t land pissed as a newt[10] or worse (e.g. blind[11]).  When the flight attendant comes by I don’t want to appear like a bogan[12], which of the following do you think that I should order?

1. Amber nectar[13]
  2. Banana benders[14]
  3. Chardy[15]
  4. Goon[16]
  5. Maccas[17]

With the time change, the first session will come like a sparrow’s fart[18].  I’ll slip slop slap[19] and be on my way.  Hopefully, I’ll have time for a tim tam slam[20] before I head off to the venue.   I’m sure that the event will be bonzer[21] and likely this Inspire to be cool bananas[22].  Every Inspire has been fair dinkum[23].

I’ve gone this far without any reference to “Outback” and I certainly haven’t asked anyone to “Throw another shrimp on the barbie”.  Before I go too far, I should hit the frog and toad[24].  Many thanks to @jphillips , @adrianloong  and @VizChic  for convincing me to attend this first "Inspire On Tour" event in APAC.

Cheers,

Mark

Spoiler

[1] Bonzer – excellent, first rate

[2] Bludger – lazy

[3] Busier than a blue-arsed fly – extremely busy

[4] Budgie Smugglers – Speedos

[5] Cossie – swimming costume

[6] Doona – duvet/quilt cover

[7] Sunnies – sunglasses

[8] Togs – swimming costume

[9] Billabong – a lake or pond

[10] Pissed as a newt – very drunk

[11] Blind - blackout drunk

[12] Bogan – a redneck or rude/socially unacceptable person (a chav in the UK)

[13] Amber Nectar – beer

[14] Banana Benders – Queenslanders

[15] Chardy – chardonnay

[16] Goon – cheap wine

[17] Maccas – McDonalds

[18] Sparrow’s Fart – very early in the morning

[19] Slip Slop Slap – Slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen, slap on a hat

[20] Tim Tam Slam – bite off 2 diagonal corners from a Tim Tam, then dunk it in a hot beverage for about 10 seconds (until just before it falls apart) and then eat it

[21] Bonzer – excellent, first rate

[22] Cool bananas – amazing

[23] Fair dinkum – unquestionably good or genuine 

[24] Hit the Frog and Toad - you hit the road

https://www.sydneyconcierge.com.au/australian-slang-dictionary/

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/australian-slang-phrases/index.html

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
8 REPLIES 8
tessaenns
9 - Comet

Hahaha, this is auuussom! Given I do not speak the Aussie language, I say everything on your list looks good to me, bring it all and order it all! But don't forget you boardies and booger! Have fun!

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

You've missed the key component of a Tim Tam Slam - bit off the corners (or if you're really game the entire ends) and use it like a straw in your hot beverage of choice ... then eat what's left before it collapses completely.

Pics @ https://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Tim-Tam-Slam

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@cmcclellan,

That is a great pointer!  What's even better about your advice was that @tessaenns helped to proof my post and was asking for more Tim Tam information.  I ignored her edit advice and even commented to @TuvyL about it.  While I knew that I would benefit from the counsel of many, I should have gone beyond listening and acted.  Thank you for adding a valuable contribution to my post.

Cheers,

Mark

TuvyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@MarqueeCrew, you should get some Tim Tams and we can have a Tim Tam Slam competition in Nashville! :P

Tuvy Le
Manager, Community ACE Program
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@TuvyL ,

Or you should come to Sydney and we can have a community event there with the real experts!

Cheers,

Mark

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

@TuvyL wrote:

@MarqueeCrew, you should get some Tim Tams and we can have a Tim Tam Slam competition in Nashville! :P

I was going to post that :)   

Tim Tam Slams have been an Aussie tradition for decades, but Arnott's (the manufacturer) have started promoting it recently as well : https://www.arnotts.com/news/new-tim-tam-slams-see-what-everyones-talking-about/

Maybe we need a breakout session @ Inspire Nashville for some slamming ?  ;)  

VizChic
11 - Bolide

Gidday Mate!

We're looking forward to hosting you Down Under!  Looks like you're culturally prepared for the trip, give us a shout if you need a hand with anything!

See you in a month or so!

Fi

adrianloong
11 - Bolide

Count me in for the Tim tam slam in Nashville