Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Inspire 2018 | Buzz

Stay up-to-date, connect with peers & share your experience!

2018 Inspire Tips and Tricks : Calling out Tip Meisters

MargaritaW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A big shout out to our Tip Meisters for providing useful and creative Alteryx tips & tricks. We shared them with our community at the 2017 Inspire session, their contributions were immortalized in the booklet as well.

And here we go again… If you have a tip and trick you would like us to share at our upcoming Inspire session, please post it here, there is no tip or trick too small or too obvious…

For your contribution, you will get our brand new 2018 tips and tricks community badge.

Inspire18_tipstricks.png

…we will give you full credit if included in the booklet…here is a sample from last year's booklet (thanks chris_love) :

tipfrommeisters.png

… and our eternal gratitude :)

See you at Inspire !

Margarita, Jess and Henriette

Alteryx Tips & Tricks Club

Margarita Wilshire
Sr. Manager, Customer Support Engineering
Women & Allies Committee

Alteryx, Inc.
31 REPLIES 31
SGolnik
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Use tool containers to group tools in your workflow that perform a specific function and give them meaningful labels. This is useful for you if you have a giant workflow as you can right click and use the zoom feature to zoom in on a specific tool container. 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@MargaritaW,

Using "GROUPs" of workflows.  Sometimes you will want to look at 2 workflows on a single instance of Alteryx.  You can divide the canvas either horizontally or vertically and see 2 workflows at once.  Following these step by step instructions you will see how to create the groups and how to restore them.

1. Right-Click (R-C) the workflow that you want to move to a new group
    capture.png
    capture.png
  2. Select "New Horizontal Tab Group"
    capture.png
  3. Watch the magic happen
    capture.png
  4. To move the workflow back, R-C the tab
    capture.png
  5. Select "Move to Previous Tab Group"
    capture.png
  6. Watch the magic happen (again)
    capture.png
  7. Bonus:  Do you know how I get my logo to appear in the workflow?
    1. Comment Tool
    2. Shape None
    3. Background Image
      1. Select your logo
        capture.png

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thank you so much @SGolnik  and @MarqueeCrew for kicking us off!!

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you want to extract a piece of data from a string where the strings around the data don't change (really useful for getting tokens for use in access authentication for the downloader), you can use a simple marked group in the RegEx tool set to tokenize.  Past your string into the Regular Expression box then replace the piece you want to extract with (.+).  That will grab anything inside there.  One caution, is to watch for characters that need to be escaped such as / or ".

In this example I am getting a token for a web service that we will use for the rest of the day with all of our other calls.  It's encrypted so there's no way to tell what the string format is going to be, but I know what's around it is going to stay the same every time.  I just had to escape the quotation marks and slashes.  That's about as simple as you can get with RegEx.  I use it all the time to get information out of "string frames".

Capture.JPG

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Keep your select, joins, summarize etc.. tools tidy by using "Forget All Missing Fields"

Forget.png

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Use the Summarize tool to perform a unique, select & sort in one go:

Summarize.PNG

HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you lose your workflow configuration window (e.g. you closed it), double click anywhere on the canvas white space to bring it back. 

Henriette Haigh
Technical Product Manager - Data Connectors
Alteryx, Inc.

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

If you want a way to document and share your workflows without providing the original files you can print directly to a PDF.

The default print preview may look like this:

1.pngI

For a more useable image use the Fit to Page command.

2.pngrr

This will adjust the image so that you see something like this

3.png

The image defaults to including the file name and location in the title.

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

Need a 30 year calendar with all the months and quarters?  Here is a quick way to build a calendar table.

2018-02-10_00013.png