Inspire 2017 | Buzz

Stay updated, connect with peers & share your experience!
SOLVED

Show us your Zen and you could Win a FREE Pass to Inspire!

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Inspire17_zen.png

Want a FREE Pass to Alteryx Inspire 2017 in Las Vegas?

All you have to do is share some images of your most beautifully satisfying work of art – your Alteryx Workflows! Maybe you go to great lengths to align all your tools, or have a dozen disparate connections that funnel perfectly into a single tool. Maybe you document in Haiku. Perhaps when you hit run, the connecting lines pulse in a synchronized harmony that is reminiscent of a classical orchestra.

I’ve been reading the iconic best seller, “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.” I am stunned by today's news that the author, Rober Pirsig, has passed away. Pirsig draws so many parallels to our life’s work and how we maintain the engines that keep our lives in motion. The beauty of an engine, be it schematic or in its function, is infinite. I don’t want to go too deep down the rabbit hole of philosophy, but I'd like to see your workflows – workflows that you find beautiful, exude your definition of quality, and are worthy of your efforts to maintain it.

How to Participate

You can submit your art right here, as many times as you’d like. We don’t need the yxmd, unless you want to share it. You need only upload a screenshot, gif, or any image of an Alteryx workflow that conveys your Alteryx Zen. Your submissions will be featured at Inspire Las Vegas within the Community Hub to bring a little Zen to the Solution Center.

Important Dates

• Submit your entries below by May 11th at noon Pacific.
  • We will announce  a winner on May 12th at noon Pacific. 

The winner will be chosen based on a combination of how many stars you receive and what moves us. Everyone who submits their art will be awarded The Zen and the Art of Workflow Maintenance badge and a special piece of limited edition swag we’re making just for the conference. You do not need to be in attendance at Inspire to get the goods, but perhaps your goods will get you there for free!

Tara McCoy
24 REPLIES 24
gene_denny
8 - Asteroid

Two things feed my Zen.  The first is the ability to open a workflow and know exactly what it does each step of the way, despite having been created 2+ years ago when I was first starting out.  It's not complex, but neither am I.

Zen 1.GIF

gene_denny
8 - Asteroid

The second item that feeds my Zen is perfect symmetry.

Zen 2.GIF

jroot
8 - Asteroid

You've got to love macros! Query only the data you need from SalesForce. I was able to get Sales Directors to record all of their notes in SalesForce instead of in a Google Doc and the workflow is so quick I can update the data every 3 minutes:

ISR Top Opportunities.JPG

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

One and done.One and done.

Nirvana for me is getting it all done in one tool. 

MattD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I don't know why I even bother after @JoeM's post... he's clearly ascended to workflow nirvana

Zen Workflow.jpg

Former Alteryx, Inc. Support Engineer, Community Data Architect, Data Scientist then Data Engineer
LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Our Top Contributors workflow gives me Zen.

Top contributors Zen.png

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

zen.pngNothing ever exists entirely alone. Everything is in relation to everything else

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I started reading that book a couple of years ago! However, I still have yet to finish it... 

I find the little things in life the most enjoyable. Like imagining your workflow is a person doing the robot dance.

alt.png

MelissaD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

In my days on the QA team here at Alteryx, I created a macro to test the Render tool. It required a lot of connectors, which always looks cool. (On a tangential note, I once sat down determined to test all possible permutations of the options in the Layout tool... and once I listed them all and ran some calculations, I discovered that the Layout tool can be configured over 16 million different ways!)

Render_All_Outputs.png

rachfahey
5 - Atom

I refresh this workflow everyday!  Color coded by data source.  All the widgets line up.  No wonky wires.  All data in to one peaceful TDE.  :)I refresh this workflow everyday! Color coded by data source. All the widgets line up. No wonky wires. All data in to one peaceful TDE. :)