Right now, the power to solve new global challenges across industries, is at your fingertips, no matter where you're working from. Create a new topic or reply to an existing thread to share your perspective.

Industry Discussions

Share resources, connect with others, and discuss industry-specific challenges.
SOLVED

Internal Audit

shawnbearsphelan
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am Shawn and I work with CommScope a telecommunication company and I am looking to connect with other internal audit share use cases of Alteryx.  We have been using Alteryx for a little over 6 months. 

28 REPLIES 28
Itay_K
7 - Meteor

Interesting, I've used it in the past to analyze amounts distribution and not the invoice number (since they're generated automatically and usually don't correlate with BL).

I think that the main challenge is to identify relevant insights once there's a deviation.

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Using

• last digit distribution and
  • last 2 digits distributions as separate variables

+ some other variables like time of transaction, IP, location etc.

you can actually score each transaction (with a random forest model) with a suspicion score...

Which transactions look shady most, prioritize your efforts… 🙂

williamchan
10 - Fireball

Hi Shawn,

I've built a series of workflows that performs compliance audit against our indirect booking policies. Our goal after the audits are completed is to use predictive analytics to minimize the amount of infractions identified. Context: the less infractions, the better, since it means travel agencies are complying with our booking policies.

You'd be surprised at how very little variety of tools are needed. Most will be found in the Preparation, Join, Parse, and Summarize categories.

Happy to connect in PM if you'd like to speak more.

Cheers.

William Chan | @WilliamChan | LinkedIn

Alteryx Transportation and Montreal User Group Co-Leader

Alteryx Core Certified

Business Analyst, Distribution and Payments | Air Canada

alteryx-sig.JPG

JenP
6 - Meteoroid

William: I, too, am looking for new ideas on workflows.  We, too, are beginning our Alteryx structures.  Can I discuss these options you mention also?

Jen 

shawnbearsphelan
6 - Meteoroid
Would it be possible to share some of those workflows with us?
bunzzz
7 - Meteor

Same here! It would be awesome to see or share some of these or even discuss how others are going about their process.

aristiguieta
8 - Asteroid

Not sure why, but the messages would not let me add attachments. "maximum number of attachments allowed is: (0)"...

I've been doing internal audit analytics with Alteryx for the last 5 years (and are still fully in love with all it can do) in 2 companies (very different industries). Right now I have 2 risk-ranking tests, one for payroll (33 risk factors - i.e. "only paid by checks", "short tenure" etc.) and one for Procure to Pay (17 risk factors - geographic distance between vendors and employees, fuzzy on names, no phisical address, etc.). At my prior company I had some good tests on T&E, both for FCPA risk and for actual misappropriation by the employees. On predictive I had a decision tree set that would identify expense reports that were the approval was "rubberstamped". 

Since every industry and system is different, I guess I would hope to use this as a sound board for ideas on what to test, more than sharing any specific workflow that would be tied to the company and its production systems/tables/variables. I would also hope we can bring-up issues when we are somewhat stuck (i.e. how to "safelist" a keyword search, or how would you follow-up when the test trigger is more abstract "(i.e. "why did you pay this vendor significantly faster than any other?" 

JenP
6 - Meteoroid

@aristiguieta :  Thanks for the information.  Maybe each thread has an attachment limit?

• For your predictive model, what are your indicators (in general)?
  • Are you using unsupervised or supervised data?  
  • For the risk ranking, are you using Likert-type scale (1-2-3,etc.)?

Thanks, 

Jen 

LaurenU
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@JenP @aristiguieta , I think this is a bug on the community. I'm also seeing a similar error. 

@aristiguieta , do you mind submitting a ticket into community@alteryx.com? We can fix it. 

williamchan
10 - Fireball

Hi @JenP & @shawnbearsphelan,

I would love to be able to share my work, but unfortunately it is proprietary and contains information that cannot be distributed. I'm working on a version that can eventually be shared since I would like to publish this as a use case.

I would be happy to engage in a further discussion since as I mentioned, the tools used are in the Data Prep categories. For our purposes, it was all about the logic and business rules that needed to be put into place.

Cheers.

William