General

Discuss a wide range of topics! Questions about the Alteryx Platform should be directed to the appropriate Product discussion forum.

Weekly Challenge Improvement Ideas Wanted!

Highlighted
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

We are investigating on making some updates to the Weekly Challenge area on Alteryx Academy! What do you think some key improvements or enhancements you would like to see in the future? We wanted to hear from you!

Reply to this thread to share your ideas.

Highlighted
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@JoeM 

1) In addition to posting the solution, I would love to see some sort of a highlight pointing out interesting/unique/cool solutions. For example, for this week's challenge (208), @reply_mueller has a really polished looking chart compared to the rest. Instead of having to scroll through and read through everybody's posts, I would love to just read a highlight that points out a couple interesting solutions.

2) I think there needs to be a better way for to people to communicate back and forth. Right now, it's just everyone posting their solutions. Every so often, some people will make a note about someone who's posted before them. But rarely does it lead into a conversation. I would love for it to be more social somehow with people commenting back and forth. It should be very informal.   

Highlighted
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Great points @patrick_digan! And, music to my ears.  

@JoeM -- I wonder if now's the time to introduce threaded discussions to weekly challenge?  In theory, nesting replies to specific solutions within the thread, would better enable the conversational element Digan speaks to. Love the highlighting idea... perhaps this is something we can better incorporate into top contributors recognition initiatives or community highlights??

Something that really grinds my gears, both from a Community Managers perspective and as someone who dabbles in the challenges themselves, is ALL the replies to the index.  There is a lot of awesome and amazing nuggets of wisdom (and genius) that end up getting lost in the 10+ pages of replies. From a moderation perspective, we've moved a few of those discussions into their own threads in General (which is now equipped with labels to encourage those conversations). I'd recommend we clean up that thread and figure out how to better direct those conversations to General. That's all I have from my end! 

Taking the liberty to tag in several Weekly Challenge champions to share their thoughts as well: 

@NicoleJohnson@JosephSerpis@kelly_gilbert@cplewis90@Kenda@OllieClarke@PhilipMannering@ggruccio

What would you improve about the Weekly Challenges? Let's help Joe by providing our candid feedback.

Leah Knowles
Manager, Global Community Engagement
Alteryx

Highlighted
11 - Bolide

Thanks for asking, @JoeM! Weekly challenges have been a game-changer in my own (and many of my coworkers') development - we're huge fans!

1. Please keep doing: the challenge list on the Index & Welcome thread
    My coworkers report that it's super helpful to be able to find all of the Beginner challenges when they're first starting out (or an Advanced if they want to dig into a hard one!)
    • I do miss the topic/subject area column. I know that we can use the labels/tags, but it was nice to be able to scan the list for, say, a macro-related challenge.
    • If there is any way to make that sortable (i.e. sort by difficulty), that would be even better!

2. Threaded discussions - I love the idea from @LeahK & thoughts from @patrick_digan on making the weekly thread more of a discussion (rather than just a list of solutions). I sometimes hold back from commenting on a particularly interesting solution (especially if it's an older one), since I know my comment will just get lost in the thread. My coworkers and I get a lot of value from looking at others' solutions, so investing in this area would be valuable.

3. Versioning - occasionally, the start file or solution have to be updated after the original post. It would be helpful if the original post or filename indicated when it was changed (e.g. edit the post to say "The start file was updated on mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm PM EDT"). This would be especially helpful for people going back to older challenges. I sometimes have to trace back through the comments to figure out when the inputs changed to figure out why my answer doesn't match.

4. More of these types of challenges, please!
    • Less-frequently-used tools (such as Tile or Make Group), example: US Grand Prix Heat 3 
    • New/unexpected use cases for tools
    • Practice with tools that have detailed configuration options (e.g. reporting, spatial)
    • User-submitted challenges - I love these because they highlight other members of the community and what types of work they do or interests they have.
Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi all!

I've noticed that the Challenge Tracker I use (based on one posted here) has stopped working. Looks like the format of the "DownloadedData" has changed, so the RegEx to extract the columns currently fails. 

Currently trying to figure out whats changed. Look like it needs a tweak to the RegEx.

Current format of data: 

==================

<TR><TD>193</TD><TD><A href="https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-193-Unofficial-Holidays/td-p/500029" target="_blank">Unofficial Holidays</A></TD><TD>Beginner</TD></TR>

Current REgEx that fails to extract columns: 

==================================

<TR.*?><TD>(\d*)<\/TD><TD><A href="(.+)" target="_blank">(.+)<\/A><\/TD><TD>(.+)<\/TD><TD>(?:<\/TR>)?(.+)?(?:<\/TD><\/TR>)

Thanks

Peter

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

It would appear that the last data item, the "Main Subject" has been removed form the DownloadData retrieved from the Challenge site. This causes the RegEx to fail.

Changing the Regex to the following removes the requirement for the missing "Main Subject" Data, and allows the Challenge Tracker to run, until the data is reinstated in the feed.

<TR.*?><TD>(\d*)<\/TD><TD><A href="(.+)" target="_blank">(.+)<\/A><\/TD><TD>(.+)<\/TD>(.+)

There is probably a nicer way to fix this for those who enjoy the pain of working with Regex.

Thanks, and stay safe! 

Pete

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

I totally agree with @patrick_digan , the social aspect is what drives innovation here. One thing to highlight is that a number of users, myself included, have written tools to scrape the feed and determine who has completed each challenge etc. I would like to be able to see which ones I've done in comparison with others. That is best done in Alteryx, so retaining that ability is key.

I think some sort of recognition for those going over and above would be interesting.

How about some actual checking? I don't know if this happens currently, and I realise that would be extra work for someone, but currently there doesn't appear to be a check on whether the result posted is correct or simply posted with an attachment. Just a thought.

How about a badge awarded if you come up with a challenge and provide the data source? This might encourage the community to ease the burden a bit.

A more comprehensive visual element to the leaderboards. Currently, we see the leaders by year/month/week etc. It might be nice to see this with a more appealing visual. 

To encourage more interaction, how about a section where one of the users who completes a challenge, perhaps chosen at random, or chosen by how interesting or different their approach was, writes their solution up as a blog/vlog?

Chocolate. Prizes. Mainly chocolate. We don't have enough chocolate.

M.

Highlighted
9 - Comet

When GIF's are included on the weekly challenge page, my company's firewall blocks my access. It's really frustrating. I have figured out a workaround, but it's a hassle. I would be grateful if GIF's weren't included when the challenge is posted.

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Gamification:

1. For each user, it would be good to see how many solutions are completed and progress against total number of challenges e.g. Person A solved 20% of the challenges but has finished 40% of beginner challenges

2. Link badges to LinkedIn, enabling users to upload their badges at key milestone

Difference in solutions:

1. It would be interesting to see a count of number of times a tool has been used across solutions and also highlight solutions that uses one or more different tool i.e. where those tools are used least number of times

Industry projects solutions:

1. Introduce real-life situations from various industries as a challenge with multiple levels e.g. a problem statement with 3 questions to solve. First question would be beginner; Second would be intermediate and so on

Highlighted
12 - Quasar

I just read across the responses. Really great points by @patrick_digan@kelly_gilbert@mceleavey and @Chirag09goa 

And I would like to thank all the weekly challenges champions, you folks have been and are a great inspiration and motivation to me.

As like others i would also would love see threaded discussions and highlighting of various unique and efficient approaches(PS: i personally find it as great way to learn and sharpen the skills).

And i would like to add few more pointers

If it is possible to implement

1. It would be really greatful if the stats of number of challenges that has been accepted/completed would be displayed in the user's profile page. It would give a good track to users (especially for who are still in the journey of solving and completing challenges and is between 50-150 challenges, for whom there stats are not displayed in the Leader-board and bit difficult to keep a track)

Have faced issues myself.

2. Adding to the previous point it would provide a great ease and motivation to the users if something of Bingo sheet of challenges completed is displayed on the profile page. So that they know which are the challenges that they need to target and complete and don't loose track. And also promotes gamification and might increase engagement.

Cheers and Happy Analyzing : )