Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Community Q&A Session with Dean Stoecker - Share your questions here!

WillM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The community team is  kicking off the summer season with a chance to bring your questions straight to the man at the top, Dean Stoecker! This is an exciting opportunity to have your questions be heard by the captain of the ship, and I'm very excited to share the details with you.

On July 15th, we'll be hosting a live Q&A session with Dean for the community.  The focus of this session is altering your mindset and the future role that analytics will play on the global stage (think in the workplace, in solving complex social and environmental issues, global politics and relations, etc).

Anyone is welcome to attend, but there's a kicker: the questions will be both sourced and prioritized directly by you, our community members!  Here's how it's going to work. This thread is open from now until the event, and will act as a collector, so post your questions for Dean here. Try to keep questions in line with the theme we'll be using, and try not to get too in the weeds.  We want this session to be enjoyable for everyone, from those just starting their analytics journey to seasoned data scientists.

We also need your help selecting the questions that are going to be included in the live event (which means that periodically checking in on this thread is a great idea).  We want you all to vote with your likes on the best questions.  Since we'll only have an hour, we won't be able to address every question live, but we'll use the most-liked questions to help prioritize which questions Dean addresses during the session.  If your question isn't chosen, however,  don't fret! We'll still be following up after the live event with a blog that will go through the remaining questions from the community and make sure everyone gets answers.

I hope that you're all as excited about this as I am.  Not every CEO appreciates community members like Dean does, and this is a great opportunity to make your voices heard! If you have any questions about the format or process, feel free to ask them in the thread below as well.  Now start thinking about what you'd like to learn, and ask away!

Registration for the live session is now open and can be accessed HERE. Register today and we'll see you at the event in a few short weeks!

Will Machin
Community Management Team Lead
Alteryx
28 REPLIES 28
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I'd like to hear more about getting Alteryx into schools.  I have a finance intern this summer and introducing him to Alteryx has changed his outlook on Data Science and what he will study his final university year.  He was able to get onboarded and start his Alteryx journey before his internship started as he was able to get a student license.  BIG THANK YOU to Alteryx for that program!  My question is how is Alteryx expanding on and recruiting in the Alteryx Community for the Alteryx for Good Co-Lab program?  I've talked to so many students who are learning and being certified in Excel but haven't seen Alteryx.   

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Looking forward to the webinar!

Here are my questions:

1. What one thing would you tell your younger self knowing what you know today?

2. What guiding principles did you start with that have served you well...that you still rely on today?

Thank you!

WillM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I want to thank all of you that could attend the live Q&A session this morning.  The community really brought their A-Game when it came to the questions that were asked, and @dstoecker was incredibly engaging and thoughtful in his responses on the air.  I had a blast hosting and facilitating, and it was such a good turnout, that we have plenty more questions that came through.  We'll be working on some follow-up content over the next several days, so if we didn't get back to you on the air, know that it's coming (and so are the badges that you'll be getting for participating and attending the webinar)!

If you missed the live event, we'll be adding a video to the community soon so you can watch it and catch up! We also made an announcement that one lucky attendee would be getting a FREE pass to Analyticon in 2021, and through the magic of random number generators, we have our winner!  Drumroll please... The winner of a pass to Analyticon next year is none other than our very own community member, @meprice!!! We'll be reaching out to you soon with details, but know that we're very excited to have a member of the community as our winner.  I hope you all get a chance to congratulate our winner, and that you enjoyed this morning's event!

Will Machin
Community Management Team Lead
Alteryx
JanssenSarah
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much @dstoecker and @WillM for hosting this event! I loved the thoughtful answers and candid responses. My favorite quote from the event was:

"Either define the future or the future will define you" -Dean Stoecker

I have memorialized it in a sticky note on my monitor. 

I loved the thoughtful question from @meprice about using the power of data for good and I would like to recommend a book to you about just that subject. I read it while completing my undergrad and it has really stuck with me. Its called Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neil. In the book, she explores how algorithms can reinforce preexisting inequalities unintentionally. 

Thank you again and I look forward to more community events! 

meprice
7 - Meteor

Wait, What!!!  OMG!  This is too awesome!!!!  @meprice is doing the happy dance right about now!!!!  Analyticon 2021 HERE I COME. 

meprice
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the recommendation on the book.  Hopefully I can find it at Walmart, Apple, Amazon, Google as these are some of my favorite places to purchase content.  

JanssenSarah
7 - Meteor

You are very welcome @meprice . I found my copy on Amazon. 

Congratulations on the  Analyticon 2021 ticket. What an amazing opportunity!!

AliAS2020
8 - Asteroid

Congrats @meprice enjoy the event, and thanks @JanssenSarah for the read suggestion.

BTW @WillM where is our cool badges?

Have a great analyzing yall!

AliAS 

FláviaB
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hey @T_Willins. Although this is a year old post, I just came across and made me wonder if you have heard about our brand new Education Program: SparkED! Besides, this is a really great story! I will make sure to get the @SparkED_Team know that you are (or at least were) looking for more information about how to get Alteryx into schools. I see a lot of opportunities here! 😎 

Flávia Brancato
Labels