Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

select value from a particular cell

SrinivasanSugumaran
8 - Asteroid

Hi Team,

Pls. help on the below.

Input 1: contains 2 cols. where sales is blank (needs to be populated from input 2 & INPUT 3).

Countrysales
India 
Japan 

Input 2: no common identintifier btwn. input 1 and input 2/3. However from a day to day process perspective I knew I need to pick a particular cell value from input 2 and it is not going to change in the near future. (let us assume that value is always from B1 which is 25)

SNOAB

Similarly I have another input to pick out value for japan which is A2 (in this case it is 40)

SNOAB

Final output

Countrysales
India25
Japan40

Is there a way we can handle it in altyerx.

Thanks in advance.

Srinivas

4 REPLIES 4
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @SrinivasanSugumaran ,

Picking a specific value for each country would be pretty simple using Select and Filter tools. However, I think what you're looking for is something a bit more sustainable and that would work on a larger scale.

I've put together a rough proof-of-concept for an approach that uses a mapping table:

jamielaird_0-1614785099539.png

For each input data source, we first name the dataset and create a table that shows us the cell reference of each value:

DatasetCellRefValue
1A115
1B125
1A245
1B2

DatasetCellRefValue
2A1100
2B120
2A240
2B2

We then populate a mapping table with the cell references and dataset IDs for each country, and use a simple join to get the relevant values:

CountryDatasetCellRef
India1B1
Japan2A2

SrinivasanSugumaran
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much. Let me try it with a larger data set

SrinivasanSugumaran
8 - Asteroid

Hi @jamielaird ,

Another clarification pls.

How to colour a particular cell from the output fetched.

Thanks

Srinivas

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SrinivasanSugumaran,

You need to use the table tool in order to colour cells. This article has a workflow inside that will show you how to colour cells. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Table/ta-p/49555

Labels