ALTERYX INSPIRE | Join us this May for for a multi-day virtual analytics + data science experience like no other! Register Now

General Discussions

Discuss a wide range of topics! Questions about the Alteryx Platform should be directed to the appropriate Product discussion forum.

Weekly Challenge Improvement Ideas Wanted!

KirstyHarvey
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

I am really loving the challenges and yesterday attained my core certification - definitely an Alteryx fan now!!

1. I'd love to see some kind of personal tracker of challenges on my profile - I tried to download the tracker suggested but it didn't work.....

2. I know that there is no one "best solution", but I'm sure there are solutions that are better than others e.g. less tools used, less memory needed etc. I think it would be interesting to see a list of commonly used work-arounds and their one-tool solution alongside an example as a reference e.g. (very simple example) multiple formula tools showing different formulas vs one tool with all the formulas in and a critique of each method. There are better examples I am sure, but someone must have a better handle on the most commonly-used multi-tools-where-one-would-do!! I have discovered a few along the way - maybe I should start to list the ones that I have seen!! (am thinking of when I see a great nested expression in a formula tool that performs the action of a DateTimeParse tool plus filter plus formula....)

3. Prize badges for your Top 10 lists?

Keep up the great work - my next task is to translate an AR tool that I created in excel into Alteryx - wish me luck!! I will let you know how I get on and maybe it can become a weekly challenge!!

KB

tochy
8 - Asteroid

I really like the 2nd point you made. Personally, I had to create an excel sheet to track challenges that I have completed.

tochy
8 - Asteroid
  1. Providing weekly challenge recommendations based on challenges completed by a user. Since challenges completed may indicate a users area of interest, strength or comfort level with the tool, recommendations may be used to encourage stepping out of this comfort zone or used to point to challenges that can help reinforce the area of interest.
  2. Another usage of this recommendation may be to encourage a user (with enough completed challenges) to take the appropriate certification exam.
  3. Challenges could also be mapped to the relevant Alteryx certification requirement.
  4. I want to be able to see all my completed challenges on my profile or something to indicate to me that I have completed a challenge.
vikb03
8 - Asteroid

Hi Joe, 

Would it be possible to have an page on your Alteryx profile dedicated to the Weekly Challenges? 

It would be awesome to track your progress and potentially see which ones you attempted when and provide a quick link to each of the solutions you have posted in the past.

Best wishes,

Vikash

teruoarai
6 - Meteoroid

Since many people start using Alteryx without having programing skills because of intuitive user interface of Alteryx, maybe it would be good for many beginners to have options to watch step-by-step video instructions on how to solve the weekly challenge. I have learned that being able to solve the weekly challenge is the most effective way to master Alteryx.

vikb03
8 - Asteroid

Great ideas, I really would love a page on my profile dedicated to the progress of Alteryx challenges as well!

Gualigee
8 - Asteroid

I think this program should be developed into a biweekly challenge. Just too many challenges for new comers. Can the challenges linked to the tool help page?

cgoodman3
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Only just discovered this thread.

Some thoughts from my participation:

- I think it would be great if the weekly challenges can be listed out into a pathway aligned to the certifications. I have seen in the learning pathway for the advanced exam there is now a section linking to relevant weekly challenges.

- The idea of being able to thread on posts so people can comment and reply directly to a solution. As suggested by others it would be great to see conversations building off the way people are identifying cool ways to solve. At the moment the threads are just a long list of solutions which doesn't encourage any conversation or deeper review

- At work we adopt a variant of weekly challenges to encourage people to level-up on Alteryx. Instead of the current way questions are framed (here is an input can you reshape it to this output), we try and make the user come to a specific answer, such as who was the sales person with the highest proportion of yes respondents (an adaption of challenge 1). We also give a foundation, intermediate and advanced level question to solve in the data set, and give 1,2,3 points respectively for a correct answer. This means you could shift weekly challenges to auto score and keep a leaderboard on time to submit, most answers, best progression over a period of time which can then be awarded with community badges.

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I hope all is well. 

When replying to a weekly challenge, the checkbox on the right of the body requesting alerts to challenge responses should be unchecked as a standard instead of checked for each reply. I now receive alerts for all of those responding to the weekly challenge although they're not responding to me. When I went to edit and uncheck the box, the editorial version no longer has the box to uncheck. If possible, this should also be an option.

Best,

Jaliz Maldonado

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JoeM I hope all is well. 

For the weekly challenges, we should have a "challenge ribbon" showing which challenges have been completed and which ones have not. Additionally, I do not know if there's someone who reviews the challenges to give us "credit" but if there is, then this should also be identified. At this time, I have to go to my profile to remind myself which challenges I've completed (not many but I'm getting there...slowly).

Best,

Jaliz Maldonado