Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

So much to Alteryx

clopezll
5 - Atom

Hello all, 

I was super excited to learn about Alteryx. It appears to be super user-friendly, but there is just so much to it. I try to understand piece by piece, and it still becomes overwhelming. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a good grasp on this? any additional resources outside Alteryx used?

I appreciate your help.

5 REPLIES 5
TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @clopezll ,

Stick with it - trust me - it's worth it. I trained myself and have used the tool now for 7-8 years.

Did you try this link already? https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Learning-Paths/Getting-Started-Learning-Path/ta-p/475117 . The video tutorial should help. 

What I did personally to learn was to follow the tutorials inside Alteryx itself - i.e. if you click on Help -> Tutorials -> (whatever you're after). Don't worry about not knowing everything - take it step-by-step - the tools in the Favorites menu are truly mostly what you need for most use cases.

And then just come to the community when you don't find an answer! The guys are very responsive.

Best,

Tom

EC55
8 - Asteroid

Hi Clopezll

I am the same as you - a week in and these boards are my best friend at the moment, as I am calculating some massive datasets which I've previously only ever handled in Excel. I am stuck on the simplest things (like how to successfully divide for instance!) but the learnings I get even when I make mistakes are super valuable. 

If it helps, do a Google search with "Alteryx" and then some key words. The search brings up all the old posts in this forum which have helped me solve quite a lot of errors. You can also search directly within here of course. The other thing that has helped me is having a colleague in my organisation who I can reach out to if I am really stuck and the boards are not helping. He has been able to solve my issue in 10 minutes vs the 3 hours I had been trying to figure it out for myself. Maybe find someone else in the organisation you work in who can mentor/buddy with you? 

This course was recommended to me if you want another intro type of course: https://www.udemy.com/course/alteryx-bootcamp/ (it goes on sale for $15 a lot)

Stick with it! 

Elyse 

ianwi
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @clopezll,

I had a similar experience to @EC55  when I first started with Alteryx. I knew what I wanted to do but not how to do it in Designer. I figured others would feel the same way so I made this cheat sheet to help get started a little quicker by narrowing down the options for you. I hope this helps a little and I definitely recommend checking out the Learning Path referenced by @TomWelgemoed in the post above.

Good luck and happy Alteryx-ing!

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

@ianwi ,

That's an immediate download from me! Thanks for the pointer to the cheat sheet - always nice to help others with something like this. Who knows. maybe myself too!

EC55
8 - Asteroid

That's an immediate download for me too! Thank you! 

Labels