General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Maveryx Chatter: Advice Column

AlteryxMatt

Happy July Maveryx! Whether you’re well-established in your career or just starting your first job, we learn from those around us every day. This Maveryx Chatter is all about advice and tips you wish you could give your younger self. This advice could be about your professional or personal life as well!

What is some advice you would give a younger version of yourself about life or your career path?

5 REPLIES 5
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
  1. It's okay to make mistakes sometimes in your career choices. Life is not a linear path, you can always bounce back from previous mistakes. 
  2. Nobody knows everything, many people make things up as they go. Looking dumb asking a stupid question is temporary, being silent and not knowing is forever.
  3. No job is worth your life. Tie and anchor your values to something other than your career. Otherwise you'll burn out always. Good advice from a fellow ACE.
  4. Try, fail, try again, succeed.
  5. Whatever you're sweating out on now won't matter in 5 to 10 years time. So don't sweat it.

Overall, a career is not a life sentence. A career is your canvas, and you decide how you want to draw it. Not your pops, your mom, your friends, your spouse, your dog, etc. It's all you at the end of it.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Hub119
8 - Asteroid

1. Just because a company or an executive has had success in the past it doesn't mean they know everything... so question everything and everyone, all the way up to the founder/CEO (respectfully, obviously). Most of the time there is a better way of doing things.  If no one can give you a valid response for why something is done a certain way, chances are there are better ways to do it.  Don't let someone else's "experience" stop you from asking questions or presenting your ideas for innovation.

2. Measure everything... including your own accomplishments.  No one is going to work harder to build a case for your advancement than you are willing to do so for yourself.  Gather the data and let the facts do the talking for you... whether it shows you areas to work at for personal improvement, or it shows you and everyone else how much you are kicking **bleep**!

3. FIND ALTERYX SOONER!

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

1. Build a career portfolio and say 'yes' to new opportunities. This will help you understand where your passion & strengths lie. 
2. Point 1 from @Hub119 is spot on. Tap into the wealth of knowledge available online and build a network to make informed choices about your career. 

3. Operate beyond your role - This doesn't mean take on more responsibility, but concentrate on building skills & gaining experience/visibility to roles beyond your level/function to ensure you make well informed decision making. 

CailinS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Great tips already shared! I would add:

1. Echoing 'say yes' to opportunities...I have had multiple roles I never envisioned for myself at the beginning of, or at various stages in my career. And each one has been worth the twists and turns!

2. While work isn't life or the most important thing in life, I would tell myself that there are many relationships that you develop at work that will help you become a better person and a better professional and will last beyond a role or company...so don't discount the relationships you build along the way and, as far as it's within your power, be a team player.

3. Give yourself time to process changes and challenges before you 'weigh in' or register your opinion, at least sometimes. Don't pressure yourself or cave to pressure to react immediately and allow time to respond from a place of thoughtfulness.

4. Finally, make saving and investing (do what makes sense to you, but seek out knowledge to help along your path!) a top priority as you move beyond meeting your base needs (food, housing, health care, etc)....so things like 401k contributions in the US up to employer match, spending management aligned with your personal goals and priorities, and tracking your financial milestones. In other words, work to live, not live to work! And have a vision for the life you want and map how your career (salary 💸) can help you achieve those goals.

Cailin Swingle
Customer Experience
LukeM

Some very sage advice shared above, I will add the following which applies to all aspects of life:

👉 Everyone is making it up as they go along. No one can be 100% certain that something is the right decision. Don't worry too much about your path and whether it's the "perfect" path, just put everything into the "game" that's in front of you and ensure you enjoy it whilst you do.

Labels