General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

Interesting Alteryx interview Questions Asked

Sasthana25
8 - Asteroid

Hi All, 

Here are few question which might help new candidates to crack some Alteryx interview and it would help to create a knowledgeable discussion.

1. Why would an organization use a tool like Alteryx? Which capabilities, business problems could it solve for? 

2. Can you explain a scenario where a customer / end user would need Alteryx / Tableau? How could these tools be used together to provide value?

3. What is the difference between traditional ETL tools and Alteryx?

4. What are the Alteryx products in the Alteryx family and what do each do at a high level? 

Hope you guys will enjoy answering it.

Cheers!

6 REPLIES 6
Taj_First_Mile
6 - Meteoroid

1. Why would an organization use a tool like Alteryx? Which capabilities, business problems could it solve for? 

The value prop and capabilities for any organization using Alteryx would be the fact that it supports better and faster decisions (social, collaborative and easy-to-use portal improves insights, analysis, and decision making). It Improves collaboration (retain tribal knowledge that exists within the organization and connect with others to help enrich the information being shared). Improves analytic productivity (reduce time spent searching for impactful and relevant data assets, and get to insights faster). No more waiting for emails with attached excel sheets of data that you have no idea where its been or the last time it has been updated. 

2. Can you explain a scenario where a customer / end user would need Alteryx / Tableau? How could these tools be used together to provide value?

A analyst has been tasked with finding a report that has been outdated but is required to be used to compare to a current report and displayed graphically in Tableau. Rather than exchange numerous emails stretching over potentially many days with team members, IT, and management personnel, the analyst can go through Alteryx Connect search for the old report, tag it, and share it with the the analyst in charge of creating a graphical comparison of the report in Tableau. Once that graphic is completed it is automatically loaded into Alteryx Connect so that their entire team and whomever has access to it can view it. This significantly reduces turn around time for producing, sharing, and collaborating on reports.  

3. What is the difference between traditional ETL tools and Alteryx?

Traditional ETL or Extract, Transform, and Load tools can be limited in the types of data they can copy from one or more sources to the destination system. However with Alteryx's unique metadata loader system, one could custom build a metadata loader to successfully copy over essentially any type of data, providing a unique advantage over other ETL tools. Alteryx of course comes with many metadata loaders already pre-built and ready to integrate into clients systems. 

4. What are the Alteryx products in the Alteryx family and what do each do at a high level? 

Alteryx Connect: a collaborative, data exploration and data cataloging platform for
the enterprise that changes how information workers spend time finding new insights
in the enterprise. Alteryx Connect empowers analysts and line-of-business users with
the ability to easily and quickly find, understand, trust, and collaborate on the data that
resides in their organization. 

Alteryx Server: Alteryx Server provides a flexible and secure architecture that is designed to fit into your organization’s governance strategy. Built-in authentication, integrated SSO, and a granular permissions model provides enterprise-grade security.

Alteryx Designer: Empowers analysts and data scientists with a self-service data
analytic experience to unlock answers from nearly any data source available with
250+ code-free and code-friendly tools. Using a repeatable drag-and-drop workflow,
you can quickly profile, prepare and blend all of your data without having to write
SQL code or custom scripts.

Alteryx Promote: Alteryx Promote makes developing, deploying, and managing predictive models
and real-time decision APIs easier and faster. As an end-to-end data science model
production system, Alteryx Promote allows data scientists and analytics teams to
build, manage, and deploy predictive models to production faster—and more
reliably—without writing any custom deployment code.

Alteryx Analytics Hub: Alteryx Analytics Hub makes it easy to provide analytic collaboration
spaces for analysts, data scientists, and decision makers to work together and share
actionable insights every day. Empowering analysts to automate mundane analytic
tasks, reports, and big data analyses ensures that tough decisions can be made quickly.
Alteryx Analytics Hub delivers self-service analytics across teams in a secure and
governed analytics environment with central administration to ensure data is always
is always accessible.

Alteryx Intelligence Suite: Alteryx Intelligence Suite helps you turn your data into smart
decisions. Unlock meaningful insights in your semi-structured and
unstructured text data and accurately estimate future business
outcomes with code-free machine learning.

Alteryx Location & Business Insights: Alteryx Location and Business Insights are prepackaged datasets
from trusted market providers for you to immediately transform any ordinary
analysis to extraordinary. Combine and analyze your internal data with these valuable datasets
via drag and drop tools to easily reveal key location, consumer and business insights
without needing advanced expertise.

Sasthana25
8 - Asteroid

Excellent job @Taj_First_Mile I really appreciate the time and effort you have taken to answer these questions. I am sure it would be useful to the aspiring candidates. 

Thanks again

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Sasthana25,

Interesting topic. Maybe I can propose something for candidates that are searching for a job.

I think having a use case is crucial. It is much easier to land a job if you have a use case that benefited the organisation. Thanks to that is much easier to stand out from other candidates.

Sasthana25
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Emil_Kos sharing use case from different industry and domains will help candidates although I think not many might have exposer of what this amazing tool can do or its capabilities. It would be a great idea if we share few.

How about sharing a use case where we(you) were presented with a complex problem/obstacle and how we(you) found a creative way to overcome it using Alteryx?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Sasthana25,

I believe this is the use case that landed me my current job.

My biggest accomplishment that utilized my business analysis and Alteryx skills was improving one quarterly model.

Pre state. 60 hours of work - the most significant delay in the production - 3 months. No proper documentation and no understanding of the process which involved using around 15 different data sources.

When my solution was ready, the model was on time, and it took me 20 hours to finalize model and prepare the documentation to handle the process to someone else.

How have I done it? I worked with one of my more senior colleagues to create a plan and understand what needs to be done to recreate the process. I spoke with various stakeholders to know if we still need all of the data sources. As the last step, I have rebuilt a process in Alteryx to make it easier to handle in the future.

Alteryx_AR
12 - Quasar

@Taj_First_Mile Great explanation of the questions. Thanks.

Labels