General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

How to import AD users using Azure AD? (LDAP not supported)

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
With Alteryx Server, we used to simply configure Windows AD authentication by choosing that specific type of Authentication and the domain.

In Hub, it seems LDAP is mandatory. We use Azure AD in our internal environment. LDAP is not supported in these new cloud offerings for AD services. Is there a workaround to import AD users without using LDAP?
4 REPLIES 4
BryceL
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Thableaus ,

In order to use LDAP users in Analytics Hub, users must be created from the Directory / LDAP sync functionality. With the 2021.1 Release (last week), we added support for Azure AD. If you have the ability upgrade or install that version, this should be working for you.

It is possible to create local users if you are not able to successfully configure LDAP, but they will not sync with AD. If LDAP is configured later, these users will be converted to LDAP users during the first LDAP sync.

Thanks,

Bryce

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@BryceL thanks! It was a good explanation.

However, how do we work around this LDAP configuration? LDAP is not supported with Azure AD. So we can't use LDAP users or any functionalities that you mentioned.

BryceL
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Thableaus ,

Based on my understanding, it is possible to configure Azure AD to work with LDAP and this is supported in Analytics Hub with the release of 2021.1.

Additional information I found regarding Azure AD configuration:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/fundamentals/auth-ldap

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory-domain-services/tutorial-configure-ldaps

Is there something about your environment or implementation that doesn't allow such a solution?

Thanks,

Bryce

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@BryceL 

The short answer is Yes. We don't have Azure AD DS configured. We just have Azure AD. 

So it seems LDAP authentication is mandatory to use the Windows AD authentication. And that was my question, so it seems that this approach won't work.

Labels