General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

How the data flowing?

arbel11
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

My name is Omer and i am New around here . i'll be happy if someone could explain me how the data 'flow' in the workflow? for example, i have a CSV file contain more then million records, and i want to work on the fields of the records. I thought about using the Transpose tool but i am afraid it will takes alteryx to long for perform that.

does any one has any suggestion? or explain me in general how the data is 'flowing' ?

thanks a lot!

2 REPLIES 2
AshleyL
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Omer!

Alteryx doesn't actually ingest the data when the workflow is run. It creates a temporary table while you are working on the workflow which goes away when you close Alteryx. That being said, there is no limit on the amount of rows Alteryx can run. Unlike Excel that will break after 1 million rows, Alteryx can definitely run more!

I suggest trying out running the workflow with your transpose tool. If the CSV is located in a shared drive rather than on your local machine, it may take a little longer but it shouldn't be too bad! A little tip here, while you are developing, instead of hitting the normal run button, use the 'cache and run workflow' option (see below). This will cache the workflow at a certain tool and will make building out /running your workflow a lot quicker!

AshleyL_0-1586807503455.png

Let me know if this helps!

Ashley

arbel11
6 - Meteoroid

HI AsleyL,

thanks a lot for your explanation.help my understand more.

i will try using cache on my next running.  

Omer

Labels