Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel Columns - concatenate rows of each column

dindrani
6 - Meteoroid

I have an Excel workbook with 6 worksheets. I need to read each worksheet and perform the same process on the data and produce 6 Excel worksheets as output.

I have a few columns: Market, Plant, Email etc.  The number of rows in each column vary.  I would like to have a comma separated list of the market names in single quotes so I can use them in a SQL SELECT query IN clause.

So, if there are 3 markets in column A, cells A2, A3 and A4 = Market1, Market2 and Market3 respectively I want the value 'Market1','Market2','Market3' so I can use it in a SQL query.

And same for Plant in column B; there could be 10 plants listed in it and so on.

Market       Plant      Email

----------------------------------
Market1     Plant1    Email1
Market2     Plant2    Email2
Market3     Plant3   Email3
                  Plant4   Email4
                  Plant5   Email5
                  Plant6
                  Plant7
                  Plant8
                  Plant9
                  Plant10

Please help.

Regards,

Indrani 

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dindrani 

There's 2 parts to this: art one is to load all the sheets and part 2 is to create the content for your SQL statement. I guess part 3 would be to write the output to an excel file, but let's focus on 1 and 2. If all the sheets have the same column structure, you can use a dynamic input tool as shown here. If not you'll have to use a batch macro - let me know if that's the case.

Sample workflow attached. Please have a look and let me know if you need help to adjust it to your use case.

DavidP_0-1634126953064.png

dindrani
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you very much David.  Awesome.  I will try to apply this to my workflow and reach out to you if I am stuck.  APPRECIATE YOUR HELP VERY MUCH.  Thank you again.

Labels