Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

Concatenate Distinct String Values

anm252
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

I have sets of data that can be categorized/grouped by a numeric ID. In my example I'm trying to work with I can tell what each category based on the mapped_names field for each ID. For example:

ID = 1

Mapped Name = Cat

Mapped Name = Dog

I'd call this example Cat + Dog

ID = 2

Mapped Name = Cat

Mapped Name = Dog

Mapped Name = Dog

I'd still call this example Cat + Dog

ID = 3

Mapped Name = Cat

Mapped Name = Cat

Mapped Name = Cat

I'd call this example Cat

I'm trying to filter my data by concatenating my mapped_name field and looking for certain combinations. The problem is when there are too many values I get an error telling me that the record is too big. I don't think the record would ever be too big if my values I were concatenating are distinct as I believe I only have 12 distinct values in my large dataset. I've attached an example. Is there a way to concatenate distinct values for an ID rather than every value that falls under the same ID?

My last question as you'll see from my example is why won't the mapped names appear all together? Each value still has its own separate line. Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
Tyro_abc
11 - Bolide

Hi

In absence of your dataset, I created one as per my understanding. Let me know if this is something you are trying to achieve. If not, please attach a dataset.

Source:

Tyro_abc_0-1648169837982.png   

Result:

Tyro_abc_1-1648169877807.png

Regards

Arundhuti

anm252
7 - Meteor

Hi Arundhuti thanks for your help. I thought I attached sample data so I'm trying it again. In the example I'm attaching this is the result I'm getting: 

anm252_0-1648175817937.png

Hopefully you can open this attachment, please let me know.

Tyro_abc
11 - Bolide

Please attach the excel file separately or save the workflow as a package and upload the package. This excel pointing to your machine, it won't open in my machine. 

anm252
7 - Meteor

Hi Tyro let me know if that worked

Tyro_abc
11 - Bolide

Workflow attached, let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Tyro_abc_0-1648178444148.png

anm252
7 - Meteor

Looks like I need to update my version of Alteryx first before I can open the packaged workflow. I've tried opening it and it doesn't like that I have the older version.

anm252
7 - Meteor

@Tyro_abc the screenshot you attached of the data output is exactly what I’m looking for. While I get my Alteryx version upgraded would you mind posting screenshots of the way you set up the summarization tools you used to produce the output?

thanks.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @anm252 

Try this guide for downgrading packaged workflow.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Making-Workflows-Apps-amp-Macros-Backwards-Compatible/...

If you are facing any issues let me know.

Hope this helps : )

Tyro_abc
11 - Bolide

sure, total 3 steps.

Step1: Group By ID and Mapped Name ---> this will provide unique combinations of ID and Name

Tyro_abc_0-1648473371189.png

Step 2: Group By ID, Concatenate Name and use " +" as separator

Tyro_abc_2-1648473661837.png

Step 3: Add result of second aggregation tool back to original data using ID field

Tyro_abc_3-1648473758736.png

Please let me know if this works with your version. 

Regards

Arundhuti

Labels