Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Catch the ACEs at Happy Hour and this is what you might hear...

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

In 2020 (for obvious reasons) the ACEs wanted to connect with each other and started having Friday Night Happy Hours (ask and you might be invited).  We talk about cats, dogs and oh yes, Alteryx.  During a recent Happy Hour we turned the discussion into a recording and the following is a trimmed version of the discussion.  We were talking about workflow organization, containers and macros.  You won't hear much from me because I cleverly spoke before turning the recording on.  You'll hear plenty from the following ACEs:  @SeanA , @Hollingsworth , @grossal , @Deanna , @DavidP , @Aguisande , @T_Willins .

Alteryx Community turned down the opportunity for us to create a blog series of our recordings.  If you would like to encourage us to repeat our discussions or to feed us topics for insights, please reply to this thread.  But more important, is to voice your opinion on how you organize and maintain your workflows.  Are you like Sean?  Do you agree with John?  Do you like containers?  Do you like macros?  Do you test first and answer questions later?

Tell us who says "I have some really gigantic, thorny, ugly workflows that would make Sean's skin tingle" and you might be invited to an upcoming Happy Hour.

@shannonem  

If you think that this is blog-worthy, please #AlteryxHappyHour here, IG or Twitter.  I'll be watching ....

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
12 REPLIES 12
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I love having this conversations!

WillM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Love this post, Mark - thanks so much for sharing all of your thoughts in a new format!  I wasn't aware that this was originally asked to be a blog series, but I personally kind of prefer it as a discussion post myself as well - it's so much easier to have some deeper conversations in the forums around these topics, and I think there's a lot of potential to keep this going as a regularly occurring thread that our whole community can jump in and engage with!

I'm also always excited to crowdsource any feedback from our community, because after all - that's why we're here at the end of the day, right? Whatever format it's in, this is really good stuff and I'm excited to have it here - thanks for posting, Mark, and thanks to ALL of the ACEs for sharing their ideas during the recording!

Will Machin
Community Management Team Lead
Alteryx
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@MarqueeCrew I love all the different options and different approaches that people had. Thanks for sharing.

Ken_Black
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

I liked Tim's response to debugging a 400 tool workflow: "No!".

Sometimes someone slaps something onto your Alteryx canvas and says: "Tell me what this does."

Since you are getting paid for such activities, you can't say "No!".

An Example: 

image.png

Ken Black
General Motors
https://datablends.us
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Ken_Black ,

Date-driven workflow = job security

cheers,

mark

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Ken_Black - this workflow actually made my eyes bleed a little!

terry10
11 - Bolide

Awesome!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@terry10 ,

thank you 🌯

terry10
11 - Bolide

David, You mentioned that you don't use container tools because they mess up your alignment. But tools don't anchor to a comment box. Seems we are missing a hybrid option, a box that can hold tools like a container does, but can be configured for size or alignment. 

Labels