Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Can Publish to Tableau Server Tool Publish to Tableau Public?

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Can't seem to find anything answering this exclusively.  Everything I read is regarding Tableau Online, which I don't know if that's the same.

2 REPLIES 2
David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

@JohnMaty !
Tableau Online is a cloud-based alternative to on-premises Tableau Server.  Tableau Public requires that either the data extract be published with the workbook or you can have it read  from Google Sheets.

I played with the Google Sheet  route a couple years ago, before we purchased the Tableau Core license, which allows us to nest workflows  in our website and SharePoint Online.

The reasons we didn't move forward with this were (a) it was time consuming to set up and (b) the Tableau Public server would only update data once per day.    I created a workflow to  overwrite a cell in Google Sheets with a time stamp every five minutes, then published a Tableau  workbook that  displayed the time stamp.   The refresh happened somewhere in a 30-40 minute window around 10 a.m.  daily, my time.

If you are interested, I could  dredge up some documentation I wrote on connecting Alteryx to Google Sheets.

Best,
David

Armon24
Alteryx
Alteryx

Tableau Server is privately managed by client/customer. Tableau Online- A hosted version of Tableau Server. This allows you to skip the hardware install/maintenance of Server, and it's always up to date. Tableau Public - A huge Tableau server, which hosts a public gallery of vizzes built by people around the world.

I found this post from back in 2019 that might help: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Has-anyone-published-to-Tableau-Public... 

I believe Tableau Public has a different looking login "mechanism" than Tableau Online. If you were able to make REST API calls against Tableau Public then you could use the REST API to login/publish/etc ... but I don't think you can. The only way I can think of automating it would be to brute force it with AutoHotKey

Labels