General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Can Action Tool be used in One-To-Many relationship?

dmodest
7 - Meteor

I apologize if this question has been posed and answered already, however, I could not find a post with this subject listed. I am curious to know if there is a 'simple' way to use the Action Tool in a One-To-Many relationship. In all applications thus far, I have only seen and been able to use the Action Tool in a One-To-One relationship with other tools. In the example below I have a scenario where a One-To-Many relationship would prove very beneficial and save time.

In the analytic app workflow below I am using a user defined macro (created by our great team of developers at my company) 4 times to run different queries against a database. In our normal day-to-day operations, it is fairly common to produce reports based on the combination and comparison of several points of data from several queries so having more than 4 queries run is quite common. This query macro requires the user to provide User Id to log into the database, User Password, and database name. I have used the Textbox tool to capture these inputs and send them to the macro using the Action Tool. Using the query macro 4 times results in having to define the Action tool 12 times. This may not be too tedious, however, if this were to extend to 10 queries, the Action tool would need to be defined 30 times and each set of 10 would have the same input values being received from the corresponding Textbox tool.

While I am aware that one option would be to configure the user defined macros differently, I am curious to know if there is another simpler way to accomplish a One-To-Many relationship.

Capture.PNG

Please share any thoughts or experiments done to test the feasibility of a One-To-Many relationship with the Action Tool.

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

While multiple Action tools can be connected to a single interface tool, as you're showing, I'm pretty sure that the action tool can only connect to one tool.

The reason for this is because the properties inside the action tool changes depending on what tool it is connected to.

dmodest
7 - Meteor

Hi @DavidP ,

I agree, the default behavior and use of the Action Tool I've seen thus far would be to only connect one other tool. I guess my question would be better phrased by asking if anyone has seen or can think of a setup, hack, or workaround to get the action tool to connect to several instances of the same tools. I'm specifically thinking in terms of a scenario like the example I provided where I have the same tools and properties being used several times. As powerful as Alteryx is, I'm just curious to know of there's a feasible solution that we haven't seen or thought of yet.

Labels