General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Building a Robust Training Program

Zas3NfkB
7 - Meteor

Hello Community, 

At my company we are working to expand our Alteryx user group but beyond that, we are looking to expand our user group's data literacy. We currently have a requirement that before a practitioner is given a full license, that they must pass the core certification. This ensure that everyone we deploy with the tool has a fundamental understanding of the platform. As many of you know, two weeks (the time limit of the trial) is a very quick turnaround for someone to learn everything about Alteryx and as a result, we have found that people are studying to pass the test versus studying to know how/when/why to deploy each tool in Alteryx. As a result, we have some users who have gaps in their understanding of when and why to use a tool. One very common example is when/why to deploy the unique tool versus the summarize tool to eliminate duplicate records. My question to you is: has anyone set up a robust Alteryx and data literacy program at their company? We want to ensure that all practitioners have an understanding of the tools of Alteryx (the core cert) as well as the data literacy on when to deploy them (unique vs summarize for example). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

ZAS

4 REPLIES 4
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Zas3NfkB 

Having a core cert as entry criteria is a pretty high standard. My personal view is that you only really learn the ins and outs of Alteryx (and data literacy)  through solving problems and building workflows. To this end, I think that the weekly challenges are a fantastic way to gain experience as it's not theoretical - you have to solve problems. I guess it's easy to cheat, but if your people have the right attitude that won't be a problem. Perhaps set them a goal of solving X amount of challenges and create a leaderboard, even award some prizes!

I do believe that everyone gets 2 chances at a trial licence - so effectively 4 weeks.

Zas3NfkB
7 - Meteor

@DavidP  I understand the certification is a pretty high standard. The nature of our work however does not lend itself to a lot of oversight. Because of that, we want to make sure that if we were to deploy is individual we wouldn't need to worry about the data literacy part. I do like your suggestion to have our practitioners complete the daily challenges. That could be a direction we head towards. 

On a side note, do you know how someone can redownload Alteryx with the free trial for the additional 2 weeks?

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Zas3NfkB 

I wasn't being critical, I think it's great and that fundamental knowledge is a super starting point, so I think if you blend that with some practical experience you've got a winning recipe!

I'm sure your Alteryx account manager can help you out with the download question - my understanding is that once the 2 week trial licence expires, you can activate it one more time for another 2 weeks.

wwatson
12 - Quasar

I would suggest having your users complete a selection of the Interactive groups in the academy. You could prescribe a minimum set to have completed before getting the trial license and attempting the exam.

wwatson_0-1596272620956.png

Labels