Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Alteryx Interview Practical Exam

8 - Asteroid

My team is hiring another Alteryx dev. Is there a recommended way to assess Alteryx skills/comfort level besides just asking questions?

I've had interviews before where I wrote SQL queries on one of those coding-test platforms with the interviewer watching live. It'd be great to do that with Alteryx but I'm not sure how feasible that is...

1 REPLY 1
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @271828 ,

A few thoughts based on my experience:

-  Having candidates sit a technical assessment can be useful part of the screening process for people with previous Alteryx experience. I find the best way to structure this for Alteryx is as a set of multiple choice questions which the candidate will solve by building out a workflow in Alteryx. Similar really to the format for the Core or Advanced certification exams.

- I'm not sure what level you are hiring at, but for entry to intermediate level positions I personally don't think Alteryx experience is all that crucial. There are plenty of great people out there with the right skills and mindset to pick it up quickly. In this case, one approach I've taken is to provide a short 15-20 minute orientation on Alteryx, and then ask them to complete an exercise. Rather than scoring on a multiple choice scale, it's more valuable to have them present back their work to you and explain their thinking.

- For candidates with some Alteryx experience, look for: certifications, community participation, and most importantly have them talk about previous workflows they have built using Alteryx, challenges they faced, how they worked through problems, and so on.

- General data skills - being comfortable with SQL, APIs, understanding the basics of data modeling etc. are all things I'd look for outside of Alteryx, as well as a problem-solving mindset.

Hope that helps and good luck with your hiring process.

Labels