Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

Alteryx Certification Exercises - Example Data Files

pderwa12
8 - Asteroid

I am going through the Alteryx Certification training documents.  Each has exercises that reference specific files that I do not have.  Are these files stored some where that I can use.  Some are excel, some are Alteryx database, etc.

12 REPLIES 12
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @pderwa12 can you give a specific example from the training document?

pderwa12
8 - Asteroid

I am going through an exercise right now and am simply trying to recreate a workflow that someone else created but I am getting this error message.  See this diagram:   

pderwa12_0-1651176013150.png

Here is the error message I am getting at the 'multi-row formula tool:

pderwa12_2-1651176255940.png

Here is the formula I am using.  I just copied it from the example, as is and it works perfectly in the model, it is just not working in the one that I created.

if [RecordID]=1 and !isnull([Value]) then
tostring(datetimeparse(regex_replace(replace([Value], " Total",""),".+- (.+)","$1"),'%b %d, %Y'))
elseif [RecordID]=1 and !isempty([Row-1:Value]) then [Row-1:Value]
elseif [RecordID]=1 then "DMA"
elseif [RecordID]=2 and isnull([value]) then "Total - Point of Sale"
elseif isnull(value) then 0
else value endif

The problem is that the record ID (numeric) is not getting passed to the filter tool and I do not know why.  When I select the 'basic filter', it should give me an option to select recordid but there is nothing to select.

pderwa12_1-1651176095929.png

What could possibly be wrong?

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @pderwa12 

You're trying to update a numeric field with text values. I'd personally suggest you select 'Create New Field' rather than 'Update Existing field'. Then configure the new field's name, data type (probably V_STRING), and length (long enough to capture all your values), and see if you still have the issue.

pderwa12
8 - Asteroid

I did what you suggested and then went back to the tool and it let me change it back to what I was originally trying to do.  After that, I was able to simulate the entire workflow from the example, and it worked.  I guess there are just some finnicky things about Alteryx that you have to play around with.  Thank you for looking into this.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Great! Don't forget to mark the solution if you're set. I'd suggest checking out the below training on data types - regardless of if it's Alteryx or any other programming language, strings and numbers function very differently when used in expressions. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Understanding-Data-Types/ta-p/73958

pderwa12
8 - Asteroid

Thanks again.  I do understand the difference between the different data types, I just didn't understand why that error message was showing when, according to the model, it should have worked.  So the answer you provided did not fix the issue.  I did change it to your suggestion but, later was able to go back, and change it back to what I had originally entered.  Should I still accept that as the solution.  I suppose for trouble shooting, it is something to keep in mind but it did not resolve the overall issue.  

Luke_C
17 - Castor

What's the remaining issue? That the record ID field isn't showing as an option in the filter tool? Are you able to share the workflow?

pderwa12
8 - Asteroid

There are no remaining issues.  I changed it to the original data type and the workflow worked (not the one you suggested).  I did have to delete and add certain tools back into the workflow in order for it to work also.  So, what I learned from this is that Alteryx can be kind of finnicky and you sometimes have to delete and add the tool back in to get the correct results.

pderwa12
8 - Asteroid

I do have another question.  The workflow model had this tool in the workflow:  

pderwa12_0-1651249174544.png

I cannot find this in my tool bar.  I checked all the categories and could not find it.  Is it possible that the Alteryx version I am using does not have that tool?  The version I am using is:

pderwa12_1-1651249277669.png

When I open Alteryx, there is a note under the tools bar that says 'A newer version of Alteryx Designer x64 is available.  Then there is an option at the end of the screen that says 'Click here for options'.   

pderwa12_2-1651249396611.png

When I click the option to download the latest version, I am getting this message.  I don't have the key so cannot download it.  I work at Ford Motor Company and downloaded the original version from our software store.  

pderwa12_3-1651249528934.png

Labels