General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 7 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Discussion thread for day 7 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/7

39 REPLIES 39
kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

This was a really fun puzzle!

Spoiler
Part 1: I overcomplicated this at first, until I realized I could simply sort a cross tab to get the ranks of each hand.

Part 2: Mostly a copy and paste from part 1. I could go back and clean this up so that it's a parameterized workflow instead of two separate workflows for each part.... but AOC isn't always about elegance :)

Luckily was able to determine early that forming the best hand just means adding the number of jokers to the card with the highest frequency & strength in each hand. My lone JJJJJ hand dropped off in a join, which threw off my answer until I looked more critically at my record count. 

Day7.png
alisonpitt
11 - Bolide

I've pretty much given up on trying use fewer tools, at this point 😅 But this was a really fun one, I'm really pleased I got it!

Spoiler
7-1-ap.png7-2-ap.png

Edit: it's fascinating to see how many different approaches there are in this thread!!

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
2023_AoC_Day07_JeffF2.png
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution.

Today, I couldn't perform as well as I could because I have some work. So, I took so much time for part 2 due to a small mistake.

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2023-12-07 194138.png

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

My solution.

Spoiler
AoC07_WF.png
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My Designer Cloud solution.

Spoiler

I was surprised at the difference of the Find Replace tool.

AoC_2023_07_02.png

And I optimize my Designer Desktop workflow.

Spoiler
I found that there were some waste tools after upload, I changed the screenshot.

AoC_2023_07_12.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Not winning any tool golf here but very much enjoyed today's challenge! Part 2 was interesting to work through.

Spoiler
Day7.png
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

I thought I had a good workflow going until I found buried in the documentation that Mode calculation selects the lowest number when there is a tie. This is a good use case where Alteryx should have an option to pick MaxMode or MinMode in the Summarize Tool when there are more than one Mode. 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Probably not the straightest path there but it worked.

Spoiler
image.png
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
image.png
Labels