General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 6 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Discussion thread for day 6 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/6

47 REPLIES 47
kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

I needed this.

Spoiler
Thought about using math to solve this and ended up using brute force instead.
AOC2023_Day6_KelseyKincaid.png
EmilyVA
Alteryx
Alteryx

Day 6:  I was lazy and solved Part 1 with generate rows... but Part 2 demanded that I reach into the dark recesses of my memory and resurrect the quadratic formula song I learned in 8th grade algebra.   (Was much easier than yesterday, at least for me!)

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My Designer Cloud solution. I solved it using a quadratic equation for Designer Cloud.

But Designer Cloud version has some problems.

- No SQRT function

- When the New Column Names changes at Cross Tab tool, we need to reset manually.

For SQRT function, I make the matching table between Pre SQRT and after SQRT which I made them in Designer Desktop.

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2023-12-07 105557.png

スクリーンショット 2023-12-07 105609.png

LiuZhang
9 - Comet
Spoiler
6 - 1.png6 - 2.png

Holiday feel compare to day 5.

StevenP
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

Spoiler
image.png
BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

I decided to go for the iterative solution on part 1 and then formed and solved a quadratic equation with inequalities for part 2. I formed and solved the equation of one of the examples, I'll attach some workings out for anyone trying to do something similar:

Spoiler
workflow.pngexample.png

  
I did try to iterate part 2 out of laziness. It was like 2trillion iterations at max, this exceeded the maximum number allowed in Alteryx apparently 

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Just realized I hadn't posted the D6 fluffy bunny  (as opposed to Cerberus from day 5)

Spoiler
AOC 2023 Day 6P12.jpg

SuguruYoshinaga
9 - Comet
Spoiler
image.png
Gem
9 - Comet

Compared to the previous (spicy) days, I'm all a-boat this one! 

Spoiler
Day 6 Workflow.JPG

lwolfie
10 - Fireball

Done!

Labels