General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 6 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Discussion thread for day 6 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/6

47 REPLIES 47
kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

I needed this.

Spoiler
Thought about using math to solve this and ended up using brute force instead.
AOC2023_Day6_KelseyKincaid.png
EmilyVA
Alteryx
Alteryx

Day 6:  I was lazy and solved Part 1 with generate rows... but Part 2 demanded that I reach into the dark recesses of my memory and resurrect the quadratic formula song I learned in 8th grade algebra.   (Was much easier than yesterday, at least for me!)

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My Designer Cloud solution. I solved it using a quadratic equation for Designer Cloud.

But Designer Cloud version has some problems.

- No SQRT function

- When the New Column Names changes at Cross Tab tool, we need to reset manually.

For SQRT function, I make the matching table between Pre SQRT and after SQRT which I made them in Designer Desktop.

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2023-12-07 105557.png

スクリーンショット 2023-12-07 105609.png

leozhang2work
9 - Comet
Spoiler
6 - 1.png6 - 2.png

Holiday feel compare to day 5.

StevenP
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

Spoiler
image.png
BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

I decided to go for the iterative solution on part 1 and then formed and solved a quadratic equation with inequalities for part 2. I formed and solved the equation of one of the examples, I'll attach some workings out for anyone trying to do something similar:

Spoiler
workflow.pngexample.png

  
I did try to iterate part 2 out of laziness. It was like 2trillion iterations at max, this exceeded the maximum number allowed in Alteryx apparently 

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Just realized I hadn't posted the D6 fluffy bunny  (as opposed to Cerberus from day 5)

Spoiler
AOC 2023 Day 6P12.jpg

SuguruYoshinaga
9 - Comet
Spoiler
image.png
Gem
9 - Comet

Compared to the previous (spicy) days, I'm all a-boat this one! 

Spoiler
Day 6 Workflow.JPG

lwolfie
11 - Bolide

Done!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels