General Discussions

Discuss a wide range of topics! Questions about the Alteryx Platform should be directed to the appropriate Product discussion forum.

Advent of Code 2021 Day 14 (BaseA Style)

jdunkerley79
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Discussion thread for day 14 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2021/day/14

 

 

33480c3d-16ee-4b01-80c0-35c85f2a7d9f.jpg

16 REPLIES 16
bflick
7 - Meteor

My computer definitely hates me for brute forcing part 2.

Spoiler
Workflow:
bflick_0-1639461205150.png


Macro:

bflick_1-1639461211860.png

 

NicoleJohnson
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@bflick your computer might hate you, but it's clearly faster than my computer. Brute force might take me until Christmas at this rate...

clmc9601
12 - Quasar

Agreed, @NicoleJohnson! I've realized the hard way that exponentially increasing records process exponentially slower, even in Alteryx. This reminded me suspiciously of trying to brute force one of the previous day's challenges, so I stopped and redesigned my macro instead.

 

Spoiler
I realized tokenizing and concatenating billions of characters wasn't my friend for the second part of the challenge. Instead, I realized I could focus on counting the number of letters added per iteration. If I could keep track of the pairs and the resulting combinations, the full string itself didn't actually matter to find the answer.
WorkflowWorkflow

Macro v2Macro v2Macro v1Macro v1

 

cgoodman3
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@NicoleJohnson I'm currently at iteration 25 and forecast that it will complete in December 2026!

 

Time to refactor for a solution.

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
bflick
7 - Meteor

Took some inspiration from @clmc9601  and optimized. Counting letters instead of creating a string.

Spoiler
Workflow:
bflick_0-1639489090980.png


Macro

bflick_1-1639489097393.png

 

Similar to the lanternfish counted resulting pairs and output the new letters created by each step. 
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

It is ugly but it works XD and efficiently!, less than half a second 🙂

 

Spoiler
Untitled.png
patrick_digan
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I was happy with how mine turned out, especially my macro.

Spoiler
I just looked at each pair and counted, similar to others it appears. My macro ended up being really simple. It runs in a second or so.
patrick_digan_0-1639516190654.png

patrick_digan_1-1639516217843.png

 

 

 
LiuZhang
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Part 1Part 1Part 2Part 2workflowworkflow

Used a lot of if else statement for part 1, was pride of the macro until hit by part 2.

Picked idea from above when @bflick mentioning about counting letters instead (don't really understand @clmc9601 's workflow), but got there eventually.

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Also tried to brute force part 2 for a while, then opted for some counting too. Keen to see how other people "counted".

Spoiler
dsmdavid_0-1639528561355.png

and the iterative:

dsmdavid_1-1639528622255.png

 

https://github.com/dsmdavid/AdventCode2021