Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2020 - BaseA Style (Day 11)

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Discussion thread for day 11 of the Advent of Code : https://adventofcode.com/2020/day/11

27 REPLIES 27
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Tidied up and did a better approach for iterative macro (doing so pre work) - got run time to a nicer 11s

Spoiler
jdunkerley79_0-1607705472201.png

Inner macro much simpler (and for both part 1 and 2):

jdunkerley79_1-1607705498388.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Day11!

I'm getting used to Making Iterative Macros.

Spoiler
AkimasaKajitani_0-1607703194028.png
Part2:
 - I added Position tag to lookup table.
 - I don’t contain center seat in lookup table. Because when count up "#", it always count center seat is "#". So we can count not 5 but 4.

Part1 Macro:

AkimasaKajitani_1-1607703212567.png

Part2 Macro:  to modify Lookup table with added rules. I used the Position Tag to modify it.AkimasaKajitani_2-1607703230322.png

AS anonymous user #1105310

Balders
11 - Bolide

@jdunkerley79 a big win for AMP today. I took yours and got ~26s without it and ~12s with it. I think the big difference was being able to run the iterative macros in parallel. I've just tried with/without on mine and got similar numbers. 

Balders
11 - Bolide

and @jdunkerley79 I like your # filter in the macro, that's a good simplifcation for downstream.

Steph_Maddrell
8 - Asteroid

Help! For Part A I built a batch macro within an iterative macro which worked fine for the example on the main page (the 10 x 10 grid). It gave me 37 occupied seats as the answer and ran 5 iterations, just like the example.

I've now fed in the full puzzle data and I'm on iteration 68 after 60 minutes run time. Can someone who has solved part A please tell me if I should persevere or bail out!? I feel like I should bail but I just can't let go! Someone please put me out of my misery... 😂

EDIT: nevermind - I persevered and it worked (woo!) but I will need to change tactic and/or streamline my macros if I'm going to get much further with AOC!

NedHarding
7 - Meteor

Today was a huge loss for AMP on mine.  With AMP on, it runs faster, but comes up with the wrong answer!  I got it down to 9.5 seconds without AMP.

https://github.com/NedHarding/Advent2020

peter_gb
9 - Comet

2020-12-11_18-33-05.gif

I couldn't resist seeing how it played out - today's was fun!

Gif skips a few frames to be under the community size limit but you get the idea. Twbx is available for download here if you fancy a look.

peter_gb
9 - Comet

2020-12-11_18-33-05.gif

Pretty low res and some frames skipped for the file size/upload but I couldn't resist seeing how it played out.
Full version here     Fun challenge today!

Balders
11 - Bolide

@NedHarding that is interesting, I see it on my machine too for your macro. 2119 for part 2 without AMP, 2117 with it turned on? It deviates from the second iteration onwatds.

NedHarding
7 - Meteor

@Balders It's even worse than that - I get multiple different wrong answers!  Now of course this is kind of my fault since I am the original architect of e2 (pre AMP) - not that I have been involved for several years.  That said, digging in I have found at least 3 issues in AMP with this one workflow!

Labels