Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2020 - BaseA Style (Day 10)

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Discussion thread for day 10 of the Advent of Code : https://adventofcode.com/2020/day/10

24 REPLIES 24
Balders
11 - Bolide

@patrick_digan thanks, I now realise it was completely redundant if you see my second soln. and it should generalise to if there were 2-jumps as well.

Steph_Maddrell
8 - Asteroid

Well part A was easy!

Spoiler
I spotted the binary in part B but it didn't help! I spent a while trying to figure out the formula but caved and ended up adding in a lookup table which maps the number of 1s between the 3s to the number of possibilities. It's lucky there were no 2 jumps otherwise my head might've exploded.
stephM_0-1607632795025.png
dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Went the macro route because I couldn't think the non-macro way for part II. Should work for random jolt diff (of 2 or longer) or as well. The main limitation I see is the number of steps between the checkpoints should not be massive (or the iterative could be heavy, it's ok for the current dataset). 

Spoiler
Alteryx_Day_10.png

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Is it cheating that I had to read through the reddit too to understand the trick of part two?

Still macro-less on the challenges....

Spoiler
EstherB47_0-1607652314701.png

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I couldn't have done it without @jdunkerley79 hint. You truly are impressive !

Spoiler
Capture d’écran 2020-12-11 à 23.45.36.png
Labels