Welcome to the new General AFG Discussions board! For ADAPT questions, please check out our new ADAPT Discussions Board!

General AFG Discussions

The Alteryx For Good program is currently being updated to better reflect our organizational values. Please be on the lookout for news regarding our new community presence in the future.
SOLVED

Welcome to the new Food Bank Discussion Group!

chriswilliams41
10 - Fireball
10 - Fireball

Hello everyone! I am writing this message to formally introduce the Food Bank Discussion Group to the Alteryx for Good community. There is a training that my company, Precision Analytics Group, and Alteryx is conducting to share some use cases that we have encountered in our work with food banks and other nonprofit organizations. Since we have been seeing more and more interest from food banks in Alteryx, we wanted to create a group to help current customers and prospective customers to share your use cases and experiences, ask questions to your peers, and conduct regularly scheduled meetings on topics that you request. 

When I first dove into Alteryx three years ago, the Alteryx community really helped me to become more comfortable with the product and gain momentum in educating myself with this wonderful toolset. I wanted to create that same safe zone for this area of nonprofit organizations. I will be adding content regularly and encouraging conversation amongst all of you to contribute to this group. 

For example, after this training today I would love to know what your biggest takeaways are from the training. What are your next steps in your organization? What surprised you most from this training? Please feel free to post at your leisure. I have included a link to the use case I talked about in the training. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Use-Cases/Determining-which-Open-Food-Banks-are-in-High-Eld...

Please remember that we want you to succeed and have fun while doing it. If you need any questions answered, please feel free to post here or send me a private message. I really look forward to working with all of you to make this discussion group awesome! 

13 REPLIES 13
cdcruz
8 - Asteroid

I found the training that you and David put on very informative.  I am new to the Alteryx Community and part of the ADAPT program. As I progress down the learning path, I have been going through several use cases to get deeper into the Alteryx tools suite. This webinar was timely and the food bank use case is excellent not just for the customers of the product but also for new users of Alteryx to apply the knowledge they have gained.

I am also one of the leaders of the Research Triangle Alteryx User Group (Central North Carolina) and this would be an excellent learning tool to get new and experienced users involved in a similar project in our area.

I will continue to follow this discussion and look forward to learning more from you and David and perhaps collaborating on a local project.

Regards,

Conrad

FMaldo
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

unfortunately i couldn’t attend the 23rd of July session. I think i read it was been recorded but i couldn’t find it on youtube. 

Also is there a way to get the packaged workflow with Excel file in order to follow along? 

Thanks a lot (:

cdcruz
8 - Asteroid

Chris has a detailed post in this thread with a link to a very detailed description of this use case along with the workflow for download.

Lori sent out an email with the recording.

chriswilliams41
10 - Fireball
10 - Fireball

Hey everyone! I wanted to provide an update to yesterday's session. I'm well aware that there were many technical difficulties with my portion of the presentation. I have recorded a session of just my portion of the training. That should be available soon as I uploaded the file this morning. I can also make the packaged workflow available. Would you like that? Thanks again for being a part of something special here. I value every one of you.

cdcruz
8 - Asteroid

Yes Chris that will be great.  Looking forward to reviewing the packaged workflow. Thanks again.

lharder_AFG
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you @chriswilliams41 for kicking off our nonprofit Alteryx training series! I really enjoyed how you used spatial data to map out those high impact areas. 

What about you @mkenia @bryanflorence? What were your biggest takeaways from the training? 

I look forward to continuing the conversation!

Lori Misenhimer

Corporate Social Responsibility l Alteryx For Good l Social Impact

chriswilliams41
10 - Fireball
10 - Fireball

Hey everyone. As promised, here are the links to the Food Bank Discussion Group presentations. They are broken out into two parts. The first one is the full presentation from yesterday, which includes the Donor Data portion as well as my portion with the technical difficulties.

Part 1: https://youtu.be/kTtUOOpNiHA

The next link represents Part 2, which is my newly recorded session only. 

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muKZCjuIWWY

I have also included the packaged workflow for your perusal. Have at it! Happy Alteryx-ing!

chriswilliams41
10 - Fireball
10 - Fireball

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to keep the conversation going because there are so many use cases that we can tackle using Alteryx in the Food Bank world. I encourage all of you to please subscribe to this thread so that we can spread the word. 

We are currently looking at topics for the next seminar. If you have a use case that you would like to showcase, please reach out to me and we will get it on the schedule. 

Thanks so much!

cdcruz
8 - Asteroid

Chris,

This may be off-topic but I will post here and you can decide if it is relevant to this discussion.  A few years back I was on the management team for one of the venues for the Special Olympics World Games that came to Raleigh. I was at the festival site (basically the party place for all the celebrities and athletes) so there was a lot of prepared food every day that could potentially go to waste at the end of the day. So we made connections to the staff at the local food banks and shelters and coordinated with them daily to show up after the event site was shutdown so they could pack up the food and take it to their organizations and make it available to those who needed it.  Making those connections and coordinating was the hard part because the contact information and individual needs information were readily available. Is this something that can be addressed in your Food Bank models?  If yes can it also be expanded to include grocery stores who also discard food on a daily basis?

Thanks

Conrad