General AFG Discussions

Make a bigger impact. Our Alteryx for Good Community is all about learning from one another, exchanging ideas, and collaborating.
Welcome to the new General AFG Discussions board! For ADAPT questions, please check out our new ADAPT Discussions Board!

Educators: How Have You Integrated Alteryx Into Your Curriculum?

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

The Alteryx For Good team is excited to have launched this Community space so now all of our Educators can start to connect, share best practices, and hear from each other how they are using Alteryx to elevate their curriculum. 

While we also encourage you to leverage our Educator Playbook (attached), we'd also love for you to introduce yourself and add your thoughts and expertise so that others can learn from you! 

A few questions to start:

How have you integrated Alteryx into your curriculum?

What impact has it made on both you and your students?

What recommendations do you have for other educators interested in bringing Alteryx to their students?

Can’t wait to hear from you and watch as you interact with each other!

(calling on you @tinhtran to kick us off!)

Alteryx For Good | Education | Social Impact
Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

A lot of good questions Annie!

Alteryx is used in several courses we have at the McGill School of Continuing Studies. It is an integral part of the Data Science for Business Decisions course which is the first (common) course in the DSML and DAB Professional Development Certificates (PDC).  Alteryx is used to ease students into data analysis by  getting them working with different data sets, blending and transforming data and building models. They also get to use it as part of the Data Science Capstone Project and integrate their work between Alteryx and Tableau.

Students in the Data Analytics for Business PDC continue to develop their skills on Alteryx by learning more advanced functionality including macros, the analytics tools and geospatial. 

It is our belief that Alteryx allows students to ramp up quicker as they focus on the data and transforming it (not on coding). They could build and test models quickly to decide if they want to go deeper or not.

Students like the visual / flow that Alteryx provides. Also, they like the amount of learning material they are able to access if they want to go deeper into different tools and experiment.

Having a community also helps.

What recommendations do you have for other educators interested in bringing Alteryx to their students?

We work with open public data sets. The choice of datasets and the questions you ask the students on these datasets is what creates engagement and curiosity by the students to learn more.

It is best to start small and get them knowledgeable about a sub-set of the tools and then layer extra knowledge (like how to use the analytical tools) after. Step by step works beautifully with Alteryx.

We always get asked - why Alteryx? Why not code? Part of our answer is Alteryx' support to us as educators and to the students (through the Alteryx for Good program), the Alteryx community, the examples and learning in the Academy, ... For those who will be coding, we tell them that  good craftspeople have more than one tool in their toolkit. Each tool has its advantages...

Hope this helps kickoff the discussion! Do not hesitate to ask any further questions you may have. 

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Happy to share @amais_AFG!

I am a STEM teacher and program director at a public high school in southern California.  Our program is a big proponent of work-based learning and one component of that is giving students the opportunity to validate their CTE skills through industry-aligned certification exams -- that's where Alteryx comes in.  The Alteryx Product Certification Program offers three levels of certification -- Core, Advanced, and Expert.  We encourage and support our students to get Core certification with the use of a pacing guide that leads them through the Learning Paths in the Academy section of Alteryx Community.  At the end of the pacing guide students sign up to take the exam, and they are allowed to take it as many times as needed to pass.  No penalty for failed attempts.  Success gets credited to their overall class grade.  Alteryx certification is now among the menu of options our students have for showing proficiency in technology.  

Our STEM program aligns its offerings to future workplace demands and expanding industries.  Data analytics most definitely fits the bill so we feel good about meeting this objective with the help of Alteryx.  As a teacher it's really gratifying to see students earn Core certification after months of hard work.  Students have a sense of accomplishment knowing they are able to learn a relevant new skill that's usually not taught in high school.  Also, it opens their eyes to the world of data analytics and how data is used in many aspects of life.  

Overall the students generally had a positive experience going through the Alteryx Learning Path.  Here are a few of their comments:

1) "Alteryx has a great community, the interactive lessons and videos are fun to watch, and the guides are helpful. I got more excited as I was able to understand workflows quicker and with less tools."

2) "Learning Alteryx helps you break down real life problems into individual sections where you can solve some and seek help on others."

3) "The Alteryx academy has a lot of helpful resources during the test and for learning it. Following directions and staying disciplined will let fun come to you, instead of working for fun. Study attempts, the documentation, and use the prep guide, and weekly challenges to be adept in Alteryx."

Just start.  I would be happy to share the pacing guide -- please DM me.  The students catch on really quickly and they start to figure things out on their own.  After they get proficient at using Alteryx Designer, encourage students to seek out unique problems to solve that interests them.  Recognize and reward students for this work.  Treat it as an independent research project where they play the role of principal investigator.  Who knows, they may come up some really cool and amazing conclusions (e.g. Freakonomics book) or become the next Malcolm Gladwell.

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Wow! I'm really interested and impressed that you have integrated Alteryx into your high school. I'm inspired by your story to continue integrating Alteryx into our undergraduate programs. 

Dan Stone

Univ. of Kentucky

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the above comments - which are very interesting.

I love data management using Alteryx! I'm a strong proponent of low code and no code approaches to teaching data management and analytics. Alteryx is among the best software platforms for teaching accounting and business data management and analytics

We have one existing undergraduate elective (Acc590 - introduction to data management in accounting) that integrates Alteryx. We have proposed graduate accounting courses in data management and analytical modeling using Alteryx.   

What impact has it made on both you and your students? Alteryx lets student see business workflows in an intuitive design that imitates flowcharting. How can you not love a low code, visual approach to designing data management workflows. While students sometimes initially struggle with learning Alteryx, once they get past the initial hurdle they often love Alteryx's amazing functionality and ease of use.  

What recommendations do you have for other educators interested in bringing Alteryx to their students? My experience is that Alteryx is more challenging for students than data visualization software (e.g., Tableau). Hence, go slow initially until students understand the software and the concepts of workflows.  

I look forward to learning more about how my educator colleagues are using Alteryx. 

Dan Stone (dstone@uky.edu) 

Director - Minor in Business Analytics

Gatton College of Business

Von Allmen School of Accountancy

University of Kentucky

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Thank you for starting this Community discussion! I look forward to seeing what everyone says.

I am an assistant professor at the Patterson School of Accountancy. I teach Alteryx in both my graduate tax class which is part of our Master of Taxation and Data Analytics program and in our undergraduate tax classes using cases that I have developed.

I am excited to say that one of these co-authored cases won the 2019 American Taxation Association/Deloitte Teaching Innovation Award and has been accepted (online early) for publication in Issues in Accounting Education. In this case I have students use Alteryx to complete predictive analytics.

The second co-authored case has students learn the extract, transform, and load process used by entry level professionals across a wide range of business fields. This case has been conditionally accepted for publication in Issues in Accounting Education.

With a holistic approach to education, we have designed a curricula that works to ensure that our students don't only know about great tools like Alteryx, but know how to apply these tools starting day one of their internships. As such, students use Alteryx throughout our curricula in both the Master of Tax in Data Analytics and our Master of Accountancy in Data Analytics programs. 

Being able to have students learn to use Alteryx in the classroom has been tremendous. I am able to help students gain a better understanding of both complicated tax topics as well as how data analytics can be used to help them, their managers, and their clients make more informed decisions. The importance of this cannot be overemphasized in a world that is constantly changing. 

My students directly benefit from leaving their programs knowing that they can make a direct and valuable impact to their organizations and their personal careers because they can confidently apply their Alteryx skills throughout their jobs. Employers have really responded by seeking out our students and ensuring they have great opportunities within their organizations.

Additionally, I have found that data analytics cases have really helped students develop the ever important soft skills, including their critical thinking skills, communication, and problem solving skills. 

Seek help.

Be kind and give grace to yourself and your students as you embark on this learning path.

Get ready to think of exciting ways to interact with your students using tools, like Alteryx, that can help you both learn new things!

Thanks again for starting this forum. I am excited to learn from all the other great educators out here who are using Alteryx

Sincerely,

Christine Cheng - Alteryx user since Summer 2018

Assistant Professor of Accountancy

Patterson School of Accountancy

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you so much @ccheng3 @Present_guy @tinhtran and @nabilbeit! ALL STARS.

These are such amazing examples and we can't wait to hear more. The greatest thing about weaving Alteryx into your curriculum is that there are so many unique ways to do it; and so many applicable subject areas and grade levels. We can't wait to hear some of your students' stories about how Alteryx has helped them succeed in their area of study or land them their next job.

If you have any of those stories, please feel free to share those as well!

Highlighted
5 - Atom

For a Capstone Class for Masters of Accountancy Students, I use an introductory case where students learn the basic data cleaning and joining skills using Alteryx. They explore concepts including workflows, metadata, and learn how to document workflows in Alteryx. 

Using Alteryx has opened my eyes to the possibilities for teaching students concepts of workflow and documentation. It is valuable to the students so that when they are working with data on their jobs, they have had exposure to the latest technology.

Learning and then teaching one more new tool can be exciting as well as daunting, especially as a novice user. My recommendation is to just jump in and give it a try. The alternative of not expanding our teaching tool kit is obsolescence. Good luck!

Ann O'Brien, PhD, MBA, CPA, CFE

Distinguished Lecturer, Accounting and Information Systems

Wisconsin School of Business

4273 Grainger Hall

975 University Ave | Madison, WI 53706

Ann_OBrien_0-1593306378185.png

Highlighted
5 - Atom

How have you integrated Alteryx into your curriculum? I am a tenured marketing professor at the University of California Irvine. I teach a course in micromarketing where I demonstrate various applications of Alteryx using real business cases I have developed from talking with Alteryx users. For instance I teach how to select zip codes for Facebook advertising using demographics, identify potential trade areas and estimate sales based on demographics, profile customers using their home addresses, and download and analyze Twitter data to understand consumer sentiment. I nearly always teach students to build their own workflows but at the end of the quarter when the workflows get very complicated I share some finished ones with them and we discuss the tools used. As an optional part of the class, I encourage students to learn the material on the Alteryx core certification test using the online training tools, and then try to get core certified.

What impact has it made on both you and your students? Many of my MBA students get internships and full time jobs based on their knowledge of Alteryx. My executive MBAs present solutions to problems at their places of employment using Alteryx.

What recommendations do you have for other educators interested in bringing Alteryx to their students? Even though Alteryx is very user friendly, business students have limited backgrounds, e.g., many have no experience with coding or large datasets, so Alteryx is an entirely new world for them. Therefore I start out very slowly with extremely simple workflows, and build very slowly. I provide the datasets and minimize mundane busywork. I focus on business applications rather than the tools themselves. I provide very detailed handouts with screen shots that clearly show each step to creating a workflow. I give weekly homework that is structured and my TAs provide timely feedback. For the homework, each student works on a topic they have an interest in. I encourage students with coding expertise to learn more on their own and get core certified.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you so much for sharing, @Cpechman and @Ann_OBrien !

I'm hoping we can get @KaiLarsen to jump in here as well. So many of you are doing such amazing things to incorporate Atleryx into your curriculum and we're excited for all of you to continue sharing so that others can learn from our best!