Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Engine Works

Under the hood of Alteryx: tips, tricks and how-tos.
MeganDibble
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

In case you missed it, we recapped our first event in this series here.

Let's get your workflows prepped and ready for you to go on a nice vacation! Last week on the blog, we recapped the Designing for Flexibility and Repeatability webinar event. Now we get to hear insights from a second group of ACEs and an ACE Emeritus. The topic for this webinar was designing documentation. Please enjoy the highlight reel below from a great discussion.

Event #2: Designing Documentation

Early in the webinar, I asked, "why document? What's the point?" And @JoshuaB and @Emil_Kos gave some compelling answers:

So what then should we document? Everything! ... Just kidding. We want to focus on what will bring the most value in our documentation--for ourselves, our stakeholders, and our future selves as well. Listen to @Emil_Kos talk about how he identified issues in handing over workflows and solved them with organization and documentation:

Another important piece of documentation for your Alteryx processes is keeping track of changes and change requests. @Kenda shared a helpful recommendation to manage this:

@JoshuaB chimed in that there are additional pieces of documentation outside an Alteryx workflow:

As we neared the end of our discussion, @Kenda gave a nice summary of the documentation tips that were covered:

And finally, I would like to end on this point from @JoshuaB about the power of good documentation, and how it can help us leave a lasting impact on the organizations we work for:

That's a wrap on the highlights! If you want to learn more about documentation, you can watch the full webinar recording in this discussion thread: Webinar #2: Vacation Proofing Your Workflows. The thread also contains follow-up resources to help you dive deeper into the topics we covered.

See you next week for the final event recap. 🌴

Event #1 Recap

Event #3 Recap

Megan Dibble
Sr. Content Manager

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.