Engine Works

Under the hood of Alteryx: tips, tricks and how-tos.
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

It is a well-known fact that doing your work in Alteryx is fun, but it turns out that it’s even more fun to do your NOT work in Alteryx.

The NFL season is about to start, so let’s talk about the NBA. I’m sure you’ll agree with me that there is a patent lack of focus on defensive analytics in basketball. Time to right that wrong.

Step 1: Get data

download.PNG

Rather than copying and pasting from web pages, let’s use the Download tool to pull down data from an API.

Step 2: Blend data

blend.PNG

Did you know that Alteryx can blend data?

Step 3: Analyze data

Top 10 Guards by My [Questionable] Defensive Rating

Defender

Position Rating
Nick Calathes
G
Ray McCallum
PG
Shawn Marion
GF
Kawhi Leonard
GF
Jordan Crawford
G
Vince Carter
GF
Mike Dunleavy
GF
Victor Oladipo
G
Patrick Beverley
G
Eric Bledsoe
G

Hmm, Nick Calathes is the best defensive guard in the NBA? I think my algorithm might need some work. Cancel all my afternoon meetings!

Not having fun yet? Let’s visualize the data with an interactive Tableau shot chart.

Maybe sports isn’t your thing, maybe you’re more into classic literature. Let's download Great Expectations, use a 3rd party API to perform sentiment analysis, and graph it over the course of the book - all in Alteryx.

great_expectations.PNG

I’ve never read Great Expectations, but it looks like it’s sad at the beginning, a little less sad in the middle, and sad at the end.

And the new Network Analysis tool is fun on its own. I mean, the built-in sample has a picture of Indiana Jones in the middle!

indiana.PNG

Tickets please.

When you can be working on your fantasy team instead of blending customer records or building your kid an app to help with their homework instead of forecasting the next quarter’s financial results – all while NOT having to hover over the ALT-TAB keyboard keys when your boss is near because you’re still in Alteryx – now that’s analytic independence!

Need some procrastination inspiration? Check out this Tumblr page I just made. And please let me know if you see something ripe for re-posting – you can even submit your own posts here.

Neil Ryan
Sr Program Manager, Community Content

Neil Ryan (he/him) is the Sr Manager, Community Content, responsible for the content in the Alteryx Community. He held previous roles at Alteryx including Advanced Analytics Product Manager and Content Engineer, and had prior gigs doing fraud detection analytics consulting and creating actuarial pricing models. Neil's industry experience and technical skills are wide ranging and well suited to drive compelling content tailored for Community members to rank up in their careers.

Neil Ryan (he/him) is the Sr Manager, Community Content, responsible for the content in the Alteryx Community. He held previous roles at Alteryx including Advanced Analytics Product Manager and Content Engineer, and had prior gigs doing fraud detection analytics consulting and creating actuarial pricing models. Neil's industry experience and technical skills are wide ranging and well suited to drive compelling content tailored for Community members to rank up in their careers.