Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Engine Works

Under the hood of Alteryx: tips, tricks and how-tos.
TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Quick post today - More of a “Did you Know?” actually.  We get requests all the time to implement a pan tool, or a hand grabber for Alteryx that lets you pan around on the canvas. There are a couple of features already that work as a pan or as a hand grabber would.

Overview WindowThe Overview window: Yes the little window that resides beneath the Toolbox. It is actually quite “HANDy” (pun-intended). You can click on the overview window and slide the highlighted box around to your desired position and the Module canvas will display what is in the highlighted box.

And then there’s your very own mouse…It is the only pan tool you need. There are 2 ways your mouse will act as a pan.

• Click and hold down your mouse wheel.  It will look like this: mouse wheel

Now drag around to your heart's content...you are panning!

• Don’t have a mouse wheel? Alt+left click works the same way.mouse wheel

Pan pan pan your way around the canvas.

Tara McCoy

Tara McCoy is the Creative Director at Alteryx. Since joining Alteryx in 2004, Tara has held roles in Product Management, Content Engineering, and Community where her focus has always been on delivering an amazing product experience with Alteryx. From designing product icons and community badges, procuring excellent swag, concocting engaging contests, and crowdsourcing content from internal and external Alteryx advocates alike, Tara is dedicated to the Alteryx brand and wants everyone to experience the thrill of problem solving with Alteryx.

Tara McCoy is the Creative Director at Alteryx. Since joining Alteryx in 2004, Tara has held roles in Product Management, Content Engineering, and Community where her focus has always been on delivering an amazing product experience with Alteryx. From designing product icons and community badges, procuring excellent swag, concocting engaging contests, and crowdsourcing content from internal and external Alteryx advocates alike, Tara is dedicated to the Alteryx brand and wants everyone to experience the thrill of problem solving with Alteryx.

Comments
Eli_B
10 - Fireball

Hi,

Thanks for the info, didn't know about clicking the mouse wheel! That is a little awkard if you have a large module and need to pan alot over and over (to get from bottom to top for exmaple) or for people like me with a thumb roller ball mouse. My suggestion would be move the pan to holding down the right click button, and move the current zoom in function to the wheel. I'm not sure about other users, but I would pan a ton more than I zoom. Just a suggestion, love the product!