Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Engine Works

Under the hood of Alteryx: tips, tricks and how-tos.
cwilliams
6 - Meteoroid

As sometimes happens I needed to change a database password. It's a pretty straight forward process: log into your database server, find the login, change the password.

And if that were all there was to it this could qualify as a terribly boring and unuseful post.

I needed to know who and what I would be affecting. I ran traces on the SQL Servers gathering some information. That gave me a good idea what was happening during the business day and one night. But traces are expensive, I couldn't just let them run for 30 days (to cover an entire month) or 90 days (to cover an entire quarter). I would surely never capture the automatic annual update processes.

I wrote a simple module that took .yxmd files as the input (wildcard the input = *.yxmd where file format = .csv, delimiters = \0 and field length = 1000) and parsed the text looking for the SQL connection strings. Additionally, I outputted the full path. After a filter and a unique I had a list of modules, the login they used to connect to the database and which database they connected to.

I work with a great bunch of people (and people that have more permissions on the servers than I do!). Jeff took the module, ran it on all the servers we know to house modules and provided me with a list of every module that would be affected by my password change.

Now I don't have to wait and be reactive. We know what will be affected and we can plan our actions accordingly.

Comments