Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Engine Works

Under the hood of Alteryx: tips, tricks and how-tos.
jantdm
5 - Atom

Download the workflow below as a 7z-archive (use 7zip to open the archive).

Before running the tool, make sure to obtain your own API key from newsapi.org and to insert it into the macro workflow!

Introduction

For whatever reason, you might want to (or need to) collect, store and process unstructured text items with associated metadata. Examples could be to set up a library for research purposes or to build a tool to watch the public discourse for relevant conversation pieces. This guide will showcase a just-the-basics approach to build one possible implementation of such a tool in Alteryx (there are surely many alternative ways to do it differently or better).

To reduce the overall complexity, it makes sense to split the complete workflow into smaller components. It is then possible to explain separately what goes into a component, how the component works and what comes out of the component. A component may further contain smaller modules that can also be explained separately (apologies if this conflicts with your definition of "component" and "module").

The guide describes an actual application which was built as a proof of concept (and was then somewhat simplified for use as a tutorial). Alteryx beginners to intermediate users should be able to follow along. The structure of the guide is inspired by the great series "Guide to Creating Your Own Connector" and the presentation "Natural Language Processing with Alteryx, Spacy, and Tensorflow" by Alteryx's own JP Kabler.

Before we start

The first step is to decide which kind of item will be collected. Many kinds of items are possible, including:

• News articles
  • Blog articles
  • Generic websites
  • Data rows from any table or database
  • Social media comments such as tweets
  • Text and metadata from PDF documents

There are also several ways to obtain such items, including:

• Manually collected and put into a "hot folder" as individual files
  • Crawled or scraped directly from websites (please mind the potential legal pitfalls of crawling and scraping yourself)
  • Obtained from a provider with a searchable collection via an API
  • Via a direct database connection

In theory, an ideal application should be able to collect, store and process any item with an unstructured text corpus (for example a news article's headline, text, and/or summary) and associated structured metadata (date published, the author's name, etc.). However, the scope of this guide will be limited to news articles obtained through a keyword search from a provider via an API.

Before starting the implementation, decide on a provider that you want to use. This Quora question provides a good and relatively current overview of news article providers. I decided to go with News API, as their documentation is very straight forward, they seem to have a good selection of sources, and they offer a free service tier with 250 requests per every 6 hours.

Generating query strings

Into the component goes a list of search terms. Out comes a query string suited to the API.

1.png

To search the News API collection of news articles, the API expects a query string ("q") that consists of individual or logically combined search terms. The list of search terms that make up the query string can become fairly complex depending on what you are searching for. The following is an example of how I structure my search term lists (and also the content of the Text Input tool in the above workflow):

searchterm
Category

searchterm
Subcategory

searchtermRoot

searchtermTerm

searchterm

good

very good

adjective

positive

positive

good

very good

adjective

positive

positively

good

very good

adjective

positive

positives

good

good

adjective

fine

fine

good

good

adjective

ok

ok

bad

very bad

noun

catastrophe

catastrophe

bad

very bad

noun

catastrophe

catastrophes

bad

very bad

noun

catastrophe

catastrophic

bad

bad

verb

do bad

do bad

bad

bad

verb

do bad

did bad

bad

bad

verb

do bad

does bad

bad

bad

verb

do bad

doing bad

bad

bad

verb

do bad

bad doings

bad

bad

verb

do bad

bad doing

bad

bad

adjective

negative

negative

bad

bad

adjective

negative

negatively

bad

bad

adjective

negative

negatives

bad

bad

adjective

negative

negativity

There are ways to optimize this (for example by using wildcards to cover all the derivatives of a root search term such as "catastroph*" or by using search operators such as "term1 within 3 words of term2"), however whether one can use them depends on the API.

The amount of search terms you can pass to an API in one request is also limited. And one can't really search for all of the search terms separately. Searching separately would mean hundreds or thousands of requests with multiple pages each. To avoid this, the search terms can be organized into categories and potentially subcategories. The search terms in each category are then concatenated into one query string via a Summarize tool. In my production workflows, I organized the subcategories so that they contain a maximum of 100 search terms each. In general, you should avoid query strings with more than 1500 characters (a maximum of 2048 characters in total for the whole API request including the URL and all parameters seems to be common).

The character limitation is also the reason why I'm only putting search terms with more than one word into parentheses:

2.png

The following is the setup of the Summarize tool:

3.png

In addition, "tesla AND" was added via a formula tool so as to limit the number of results for the tutorial by specifying an additional search condition:

4.png

The search terms in the table above with the logic of the Summarize and Formula tools results in the following concatenated queries:

searchtermCategory

searchterm
Subcategory

Q

qLength

bad

bad

tesla AND ("do bad" OR "did bad" OR "does bad" OR "doing bad" OR "bad doings" OR "bad doing" OR negative OR negatively OR negatives OR negativity)

bad

very bad

tesla AND (catastrophe OR catastrophes OR catastrophic)

good

good

tesla AND (fine OR ok)

good

very good

tesla AND (positive OR positively OR positives)

Different APIs also have different advanced search parameters (see News API's as an example). For this guide, we're just using "OR", "AND", """ quotes, and "()" parentheses.

Executing API requests

In goes the previously generated query string. Out comes an API response for further processing.

5.png

The next step looks pretty simple at first, but the magnifying glass icon hides an iterative macro that gave me a headache. Either macros are not implemented as easy as they could be or I'm just not smart enough for them. Or maybe I'm just spoiled by the ease of use of most other tools in Alteryx.

The iterative macro takes the data provided by the macro input. This consists of the queries generated in step one (including the respective categories and subcategories) as well as the contents of the Formula tool:

6.png

I'm not exactly sure whether one needs to "initialize the page number variable" outside the macro, but I'm leaving it in there because it feels right. I read several tutorials and community questions when building the macro, this tutorial was particularly helpful.

This is what the first half of the iterative macro looks like:

7.png

In my version of the workflow, the parameters for language, apiKey, and maximum page size are hard coded into the Download tool (the one with the lightning icon) that performs the actual API requests. One might also pass them into the macro from the workflow in which the macro is embedded.

In many cases, an API key can also be provided to the API via the request headers. This can better hide the key from potential eavesdroppers (it's an HTTP request after all) and may reduce the total length of the query URL. I'm leaving it in the query body as it's a bit easier to understand that way.

8.png

Executing the request will result in a JSON formatted answer by the API. Fortunately, Alteryx has the JSON Parse tool to convert it into table format:

{"status":"ok","totalResults":244,"articles":[{"source":{"id":null,"name":"Cleantechnica.com"},"author":"Guest Contributor","title":"Tesla’s [Ahem, Elon’s] Unconventional Approach To Media Criticism","description":"Negative media coverage is a fact of l...

becomes:

9.png

To keep track of the requests, I'm adding a timestamp via a Formula tool.

The second half of the iterative macro has two branches:

10.png

The upper stream takes only those lines that contain the values for total results per search query. If the number of results is above 100 (the maximum per page for News API), the tools calculate the number of total pages and the iterative macro then runs a certain query until all pages have been obtained. I'm making use of an IF statement and the ceiling function CEIL() to calculate the total pages. I'm not sure whether this is the most elegant way, but it seems to work:

11.png

Only those requests for which the current page value is lower than or equal to the total number of pages remain in the iteration and get passed back to the beginning for another run with page number incremented by 1.

All other lines (and the line with the total results merged back in for potential statistics and logging purposes further down the workflow) are passed outside the macro (back into the workflow above) via the bottom Output tool. There, they're cached in an Alteryx database file (.yxdb).

Hint: After a successful API request, collapse the first two toolboxes ("Disable Container") via the icon in the upper left corner to preserve your allotted number of API calls.

Converting API responses

In goes the raw response data from the API request, out come deduplicated items with associated metadata.

12.png

In the first half of the conversion workflow, the tabular JSON data is transformed into a much more usable regular table structure. Before this, each line is a property of an item from the JSON response, potentially split up further into sub-properties such as a list of tags within a general "tag" property.

The Cross Tab tool is the opposite of the "transpose" option in Microsoft Excel (of course, Alteryx also has a Transpose Tool). It converts the lines into columns. In the Cross Tab tool, select the properties which describe a unique item and on which to do the grouping of lines (this also means you will keep these properties as columns).

13.png

Everything except "JSON_Name2" should be clear from the descriptions above. JSON_Name2 is the part of JSON_Name that contains the article number of a certain item on a page.

14.png

After some re-arranging and sorting, the data looks like this:

15.png

16.png

It may happen (and depending on the search terms, it may happen a lot) that articles are found through different search term subcategories. As a remediation, I calculate a unique ID for each item at the beginning of the second half of the workflow. The assumption behind this is that no article will be published via the same URL at the exact same time more than once without it being an exact duplicate. To create the ID, the URL and publication timestamp are concatenated and hashed as an MD5 checksum (this is just to shorten it, the raw concatenated string would work as well).

17.png

The Summarize tool that follows groups by item IDs and concatenates values that may differ even for the same item. After grouping, items may have duplicate category and even duplicate subcategory values. The latter may be due to the API not deduplicating according to URL and timestamp. As Alteryx does not have a "Concat Unique" option for Summarize (feature request!), the deduplication of metadata within each field must be done manually by splitting the values up into rows again, using the Unique tool and re-concatenating the unique values.

The end result is a list of items with associated metadata (see the item with duplicate categories in line 22). Of course, there will still be duplicates as the URL and the timestamp are not sufficient for content deduplication. For example, some news sites will publish one article several times to different websites in some kind of federation (which results in slightly different URLs but exactly the same content).

18.png

Comments
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

This was a really interesting article!  I enjoyed reading it and reviewing your methodology a lot, and I think this is a great example of how to query an API in Alteryx, and manage pagination.

One thing I took note of was your comment about iterative macros:

@jantdm wrote:

The next step looks pretty simple at first, but the magnifying glass icon hides an iterative macro that gave me a headache. Either macros are not implemented as easy as they could be or I'm just not smart enough for them. Or maybe I'm just spoiled by the ease of use of most other tools in Alteryx.

Iterative macros are extremely powerful, but they are also relatively complex to design.  The really interesting things is that while they are necessary in order to perform certain functions, Alteryx workflows are so powerful that it is rare that you will actually need one.

I took a look at the workflow, and I believe that this can be accomplished without an iterative macro.  I unfortunately can't attach my revised workflow to this post, but I'll break down what I did.

New tools in the workflowNew tools in the workflow

This design is based on the way the Download tool handles incoming requests.  Since the Download tool can run a request for every single line of data fed into it, we can skip over the iterative process, saving us time and also code complexity.  We can see this just in the initial macro design, where all four of our queries are able to process at once.

The first five tools (Download,JSON Parse, Formula for datetimerequested, Filter, and Select) are exactly the same as the ones in the Iterative macro.  After this point is where there start to be some changes.

The first change is to the formula for totalPages.  I really liked your idea for CEIL([items]/100) that you used for pages after page 1, so I tested out what it did with values below 100, and got the below results:

claje_ceil.PNG

Because this worked for 0 and numbers below 100, I updated the formula to remove the IF statement and just check CEIL(items/100).

The next problem that needed to be solved was that of iteration.  Since Iterative macros are how Alteryx approaches Iteration, we need a different solution.  Fortunately, the Generate Rows tool is a really powerful option that works really nicely with the Download tool.

claje_generaterows.PNG

What this does is basically a "Do While" loop that checks our condition (pages <= totalpages), and creates a new row where all of the data (except the page number) is exactly the same, with the page incremented by 1.  So for a request with 200 results, we end up with two records, one for page 1 and one for page 2.

After Generate Rows, we apply a filter of page >1, since we already queried the first page of data, and we don't want to pull it again.

The next tool in use is another Select.  From here on, we don't want/need the datetimeRequested, items, queryStatus, or totalPages fields, so I deselected them to keep our format consistent.

claje_selectedfields.PNG

The final step is to run the download for all the pages we have left.  To do this, I copied the first three tools (Download, JSON Parse, and formula), and put a second copy after our Select.  This will run for any pages that we still have to request.

The very last tool is a Union, which will bring together all of our data from the first page of requests, and all of our subsequent requests, so that we can output the data.

Using this design, we do have a few duplicated tools, which require some review if we ever change the Download or JSON Parse tools, but we avoid having to use and maintain a macro, and avoid the complexities of iteration.

jantdm
5 - Atom
Using this design, we do have a few duplicated tools, which require some review if we ever change the Download or JSON Parse tools, but we avoid having to use and maintain a macro, and avoid the complexities of iteration.

This is a great alternative solution. I was not aware that GenerateRows may use a condition. It was a good learning experience to do it with a macro but if one doesn't need it for other reasons, it's clearly more beginner-friendly to do it your way.

The first change is to the formula for totalPages.  I really liked your idea for CEIL([items]/100) that you used for pages after page 1, so I tested out what it did with values below 100, and got the below results:

Because this worked for 0 and numbers below 100, I updated the formula to remove the IF statement and just check CEIL(items/100).

I had a reason why I used the IF condition when calculating the pages, though I can't recall what it was. If it works without it, even better.

Thanks for your review and the detailed feedback!