Engine Works

Under the hood of Alteryx: tips, tricks and how-tos.
TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Today is a big day in the Alteryx world as we announce the official release of the long awaited Alteryx 6.0. It is always amazing to me what we manage to add to the program and how reliant I become on the new features, making the previous 'amazing release' nearly obsolete.

I want to thank the brilliant team of professionals I am fortunate enough to work with everyday who pulled off what is the very best Alteryx release to date.

Starting with our clever developers, there is Rob Bryan, responsible for the Spatial tools and functions in Alteryx. Rob's contributions to this release include a new hi-res map tiling service that allows faster, more detailed satellite map retrieval, Guzzler improvements, Spatial Formula library additions and the Location Optimization sample macros.

Kurt Septon refactored our reporting engine and in doing so improved the stability and output of report creation. He also wrote a new charting tool that introduces 8 new chart types.

New to Alteryx is Gary Schwartz who came in and documented our SDK and APIs and created real working examples so that you can leverage your investment of Alteryx. You will notice an API directory that gets installed with the Alteryx 2011 product suite.

Linda wrote 7 new tools that utilize our Solocast engine, developed the module packager that zips up a module and all its dependencies into a single file, added KML and PostGreSql read/write support, and a myriad of other features, bug fixes, regression testing and anything else required to get Alteryx 6.0 out the door.

Then there is Ned, the brilliance behind Alteryx, who implemented Iterative Macros, Location Optimization, Tool Containers, and among a million other things, made Alteryx even faster.

We welcomed a very thorough and talented quality engineer in the midst of an ambitious release push and Melissa Dixon did a fine job coordinating testing amongst our entire organization and took a complex and lengthy test matrix to a new platform for execution. I am quite excited for the next release to see how she improves QA with our product line.

Product Management direction comes from Amy Holland and there is no one better at keeping us all on track. Rob McFadzean wrote the Location Optimization and Iterative Macro samples as well as demonstrated their functionality internally, and to me about a hundred times.

Then there are our Beta Testers, I'd call you out individually but we do have an NDA to uphold. You know who you are. Thank you so much for your candid feedback, suggestions, and your willingness to share. You make us better and we thank you. I hope Alteryx makes your work easier and that we continue to inspire creative solutions to complex problems.

Carlos Avila is hard at work fulfilling the shipment of Alteryx 2011. Feel free to download the latest from the links below, then be sure to check out the What's New from the Help Menu.

Thanks for reading and thanks for using Alteryx.

Tara McCoy Giovenco

Tara McCoy

Tara McCoy is the Creative Director at Alteryx. Since joining Alteryx in 2004, Tara has held roles in Product Management, Content Engineering, and Community where her focus has always been on delivering an amazing product experience with Alteryx. From designing product icons and community badges, procuring excellent swag, concocting engaging contests, and crowdsourcing content from internal and external Alteryx advocates alike, Tara is dedicated to the Alteryx brand and wants everyone to experience the thrill of problem solving with Alteryx.

Tara McCoy is the Creative Director at Alteryx. Since joining Alteryx in 2004, Tara has held roles in Product Management, Content Engineering, and Community where her focus has always been on delivering an amazing product experience with Alteryx. From designing product icons and community badges, procuring excellent swag, concocting engaging contests, and crowdsourcing content from internal and external Alteryx advocates alike, Tara is dedicated to the Alteryx brand and wants everyone to experience the thrill of problem solving with Alteryx.