Welcome to the ADAPT Discussions board! Please use this location for general questions regarding the ADAPT program. For technical questions, please check out the Designer Discussions Board. For AFG general questions, please check out our new General AFG Discussions board!

ADAPT Discussions

Discuss and build your skills with others who have been impacted by COVID-19.

Have questions about resumes...? Share them here!

SusanCS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

*** Update! I had a lovely conversation with Ashley Watkins, a Nationally Certified Resume Writer, and got some great info and insights into not just resumes, but also other job-search strategies for success! Check out this blog post with video clips and bonus tips from our chat. ***

Hello all! I've got a question that I'd love to get your thoughts on. Since many of our ADAPT participants (and possibly others!) are making a career change or seeking a new career adventure...

If you had 30 minutes with a resume-building expert, what questions would you ask?

Share your questions here and maybe, just maybe I'll have some answers to share with you soon! Watch this space! 🤩

4 REPLIES 4
mcha54
8 - Asteroid

Hi! I was just about to make a post asking about resumes/job hunting and found this thread.

Here are my questions:

How do I showcase the Alteryx apps, macros and workflows that I've built? 

• Upload them onto GitHub (after scrubbing internal company connections/data)?
  • Write up use cases and put on a personal Portfolio website?
  • LinkedIn Articles?
  • Other ideas?

What are some resume and ApplicantTrackingSystem friendly keywords that describe Alteryx users?

Do one-page resumes still apply in these new times?

How far in the past should you go as far as experiences? On the resume and on LinkedIn?

Thanks!

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@mcha54 

I'll take a stab at sharing workflows question. It's this massive question mark that unfortunately doesn't have any clear answer. The problem, as everyone already probably knows, is that there is a tremendous amount of the workflow that is generally dependent on data that is sitting within an organization. So what does a picture of a workflow or a file that doesn't have connections really do for someone in the hiring process?

My suggestion is this. Being able to discuss the entire process and where Alteryx fits and how you solved that problem is the most important part of discussing your Alteryx skills. So for example.

I could give you this image.

Treyson_0-1593639573294.png

To people hiring, this does nothing, other than maybe illustrate you know how to document (which is super important) and that you can build macros. But what is way more important is to discuss it like this:

At XYZ organization I built a connector to ABC software that utilizes the download tools to call APIs in order to extract data that is otherwise impossible to grab without some sort of RPA tool. It's an iterative macro that utilizes the header return from each API to call the next batch of records. This batch process allows us to put a low stress on our system and ensures we maintain a quality product (or whatever).

Does this make sense? Speaking from experience, a large majority of recruiters don't know what Alteryx even is. They are just going to ask you about it and what you do big picture.

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
SusanCS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Treyson, thanks for those thoughts! Great point about being able to share the big picture vs. the smaller details of one's experiences and skills. 

@mcha54, thank you for your questions! Stay tuned on the other résumé issues -- I'll have some more info to share here very soon. 

Keep the questions and answers coming, all! 

Leeia_I
9 - Comet

Would you recommend a data science portfolio. If so, what does that look like?