Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

YXI Install on Non-Admin Install

chrisha
11 - Bolide

I have packaged a Python tool as a .yxi and can successfully install it on my machine, where Alteryx 2018.2 is installed for all users (Admin Install). At a colleague's machine, however, the installation fails. There is only a window containing "Exception:" without any further (visible or readable) details.

Creating the virtual environment manually in the command line and installing everything through pip works fine. And the tool is available and working after that as well - it is only the YXI that is not working on his machine.

The only other thing I can add is that I cannot active the virtual environment in the PowerShell as the .ps1 file cannot be used without admin privileges. The activate.exe is not available in his environment, but the activate.bat works without problems.

Without any error messages I cannot really pin down the problem, but would assume that it has something to do with the Non-Admin install. Did anyone run into similar problems or knows a way to get more info out of Alteryx on what exactly the problem is?

14 REPLIES 14
PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @chrisha,

Could you please check if registry modification suggested in post https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Dev-Space/Python-tool-install-fails-due-to-long-pathnames/m-p/18908... fixes your issue?

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer, Alteryx

chrisha
11 - Bolide

@PaulN, yes, this indeed seems to have fixed the problem for now. Thank you!

Same as @elatt we'd prefer a long-term solution involving no admin rights which are necessary to change the registry entry.

TashaA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@chrisha @elatt @PaulN

We have logged this issue and I will update this post when we have a fix planned!

Thanks so much for all the great feedback and @PaulN for the work-around.

engabuhuraira
5 - Atom

Dear team, I need help I can install the alteryx 

can you help the process because I faced this issue 

Installing python dependencies .....

TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hello @engabuhuraira 
Can you please elaborate on the issue you are encountering?

If possible, please send a screenshot of the error message you have received when you attempted to download the software.

Thanks!

TrevorS

Community Moderator