Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.

Write Configuration Data from Python SDK

rendezz
5 - Atom

Hi

I have written an HTML + Python Oauth tool for a platform.  I Oauth in the HTML fine and it saves the auth token and refresh token which is made available to the Python.  The issue is that once the access token expires, I refresh it.  The refreshing brings with it a new refresh token which I have to use for subsequent refreshes.  I need to replace the (now defunct) refresh token stored in the config with the new one.  How do I write configuration data back to the tool config, or should I persist this elsewhere?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
TashaA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @rendezz , 

Have you considered keeping all of the token logic on the UI side? I don't believe that we support writing from the engine to the UI at this time-I haven't seen it done. 

-Tasha

rendezz
5 - Atom

Thanks

Unfortunately, once you start using the tokens, the original ones become invalid, so if you use them in the engine, the UI ones need to now get re-authed, which invalidates the ones in the engine etc.

But I hear you about not being able to write config from the engine, that is what I have found as well.  I am thinking of setting up an online service which both UI and engine can access to manage and persist tokens.

Thank you for your input.

DrewE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can update the config XML of the tool from the backend by doing:

engine.output_message(
    tool_id,
    Sdk.Status.update_output_config_xml,
    updated_xml_string,
)
rendezz
5 - Atom

Thank you, I will go ahead and try this.